Menu

Miniature rant

Oh, we are SO there. It was so hot and now it's rainy. For the first time dd has figured out that NO ONE she knows does work during the summer. So she spends every night dreading the day, and every day wearying me till night. Oy. And if we hadn't had off SO much time last calendar year with VT mess, I'd be open to it. Next summer yes, take off. But this summer no.

So anyway, I'm right where you are. If it would help, I have a nice pan of oatmeal chocolate chip cranberry cookies I baked up. The oatmeal means it works for breakfast. The cranberries cancel out the evil of the sugar. The chocolate, well that's therapy too. In other words, these are very therapeutic cookies.

1 c. oil

1 c. white sugar

1 c. brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

2 c. flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. pie spice (or cloves or more cinnamon or whatever you like)

2 cups oats

1/2 bag Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips (splurge, they're worth it)

1 c. sweetened dried cranberries

Stir together wet stuff. Stir together dry stuff. Mix dry into wet. Add chips and cranberries. Bake at 350, either as drop cookies or a bar cookie.

If you want to use butter instead of oil, you can. The oil makes it easy, and easy is good. They're insanely good as bar cookies. I plan to drizzle glaze on them and take them to picnics this summer. If you do butter, obviously you have to cream, which is a hassle. Otherwise, they're quite fast. :)

Now both the dc are asleep. Wonder how long that will last. But for now, it's peaceful and quiet. :)

No school for two weeks while I work, but I'd rather be in school. It is so, SO, hot! I can't believe it's still June. Stepped outside this morning and I felt like I'd stepped into a well-steamed oven. Despite the humidity my hands and lips are cracked and bleeding, and reacting to everything I put on them, even tap water! GAG!

Wake me up in October.

1 c. oil

1 c. white sugar

1 c. brown sugar

2 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

2 c. flour

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. pie spice (or cloves or more cinnamon or whatever you like)

2 cups oats

1/2 bag Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips (splurge, they're worth it)

1 c. sweetened dried cranberries

Stir together wet stuff. Stir together dry stuff. Mix dry into wet. Add chips and cranberries. Bake at 350, either as drop cookies or a bar cookie.

I wish I was not on Atkins. :D As soon as I get "off" I will bake up these cookies. LOL. :lol:

Oh, we are SO there. It was so hot and now it's rainy. For the first time dd has figured out that NO ONE she knows does work during the summer.

:iagree:Yes, and it is also annoying :glare: that no one else has figured out that we DO do work in the summer. We do do... there's a message in there somewhere....

Anyway, I finally had to make door signs that politely inform would-be visitors that we are doing school, and to please come back at another time. Sigh.

What do you do to, um, politely keep people from interrupting school time? :bigear:

My hs'd dc are okay. They're working lightly and have enough going on otherwise to keep them busy. However, the dd who started ps in January, due to a lot of unhappy circumstances, is home with more time on her hands than she's used to. Unfortunately, there was a lot of talk about the end of the world in ps and now that she's home she keeps looking at the clouds with an anxious expression on her face.

I may make this another thread because I may need suggestions on how to deal with this. We're going to the ped. today for another issue so I'll bring this up.

Thanks for the recipe Elizabeth. They look light just the thing *I* need.:)

Elizabeth, you are my hero! Those cookies sound delightful! As soon as the Italian Cream Cake and Cappuccino Brownies are finished (left over from the graduation party), I will be making those cookies.

No way, you did NOT tell me you mad Cappuccino Brownies!!!!!!! I never ever do caffeine (only in duress, when I can't drive due to extreme fatigue), so let's just say I get a buzz off it. But those sound quite good! Well when are brownies bad, haha. You know I *still* have one piece, just a thin sliver, of that Italian Cream Cake in my frig? I was looking at it today trying to decide if that or a spinach salad was my lunch. The spinach salad won, but now you're making me regret it. No self-control, no self-control... But you know, when in doubt, freeze the leftovers and make something new! :)

So did you end up liking the italian cream cake? In the meantime I've gotten gaga over pineapple upside down cake and want to make a pineapple upside down cheesecake. That's my next bad thing. But I have to put it off. I've been WAY too bad lately. :)

Well we had a better day today. We had a long hashing out of some things, and that is always conducive to good vibes. And the sun is shining (momentarily), so that helps too.