Menu

Making the jump to HS...very nervous

I have 4 kids and the youngest 3 boys are in a sweet Catholic school but the education the last couple of years has been subpar. The principal and I are revamping it but my 9 year old scored in the 20-30 percent on his IOWA test for his math, 40-50 for LA and after substituting in his class, I know how bad the education is and how far behind he is (average student). My 8 year old is very bright but scoring in the 20-30 for math and has been begging me to homeschool him. The 6 year old could care less, but I won't leave him in school if the other two are coming out. I have been supplimenting for months and now I slowly, have almost a whole year bought for each boy. I am very involved with the school and my children have close friends...WE have close friends there. I know what I have to do, what I already AM doing, but that first day that the kids go back to the class and an empty seat exists where my child would have been....I read about parents who take months off or skip subjects entirely, I am nervous I will make them fall farther behind. I have not told the school yet. As of today, I have one foot at home and one foot at school. The oldest one wants to go back for 5th grade (the NEXT school year). The 8 year old never wants to go back. I know someone has done this same thing and I would like to hear how the first few months went. Thank you in advance.

I am a new poster but a long time follower of TWTM (2002). 1 girl (11 yo), and the 3 boys. Hats off to all of you. I admire you for taking the plunge and sticking with it.

Welcome to the forum and homeschooling! I can sympathize with your concerns about not keeping on top of things and falling behind. It sounds like you've half started so you have a better idea of what works and how you'll do more than someone who jumps in without that prior experience. I would defiantly homeschool them this summer, even at just 50% of what you'll be doing the rest of the year, to give you an even better idea. That could help you work out a schedule and figure out how to do multiple kids at multiple levels at the same time. At the very least you might be able to get them back up to a level they should be in their trouble areas.

Explore the threads some more. There's a lot of good information on here from people with a LOT more experience than I do :D

Welcome! You can do this!

I pulled my then-7th-grader and, a year later, her younger sister out of public school. It took some time for all of us to figure out how to best work together, but it was a successful *and* challenging time. The first few months was really about figuring out where the holes were and how to address them, and for me it was also about how best to plan our days.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on your educational goals and the areas you particularly want to address. I think most homeschoolers, even those who've homeschooled for a long time, worry about gaps or falling behind. It's normal to feel that way. Jump right in and be willing to adjust and adust some more as needed. Remember to keep your goals in sight, and remember that there will be an adjustment period as you figure out how to make homeschooling work for you, and you'll do well. :)

I feel for you. I can imagine that the upcoming change in the relationships you've built with the school and the families/friends must be challenging for you. :grouphug:

Good luck! Keep coming here--this board is full of wise women and men, with lots of different experiences.

Cat

....I read about parents who take months off or skip subjects entirely, I am nervous I will make them fall farther behind.

You will be amazed at how fast they learn and how efficiently you will be able to teach them once the ratio goes to 1:1. There is nothing like that ability to focus on just your child, and tailor-make the pace just for them. You will enable them to go farther, faster and with less time than it would take a "school". I can also tell you are deeply commited to everything you take up. You will do GREAT! Your kids are blessed to have a mom who cares so much about them and their education.

I am a bit biased - but I think you all will love it. The longer I homeschool, the more I find about it to love. I'm not saying we don't have bad days or days that look like this ~ :banghead: But the overall picture of how close our family has become, how much closer my kids have become, the peace and confidence I've seen build in them, the amazing education I've seen that I can give them, their retention of knowledge and even more their LOVE of learning...I could go on and on...this overall picture has made me more and more committed to this adventure/journey of homeschooling. I hope you find the same!

So glad you are here! You will find a lot of support here. I also recommend getting involved with a local group of homeschool moms. Their support has been a life-saver, more than once! ;)