Menu

Help Me Choose Magnetic Letters

eloquacious

I would like to get a set of color-coded magnetic letters for spelling jobs. We already have Leapfrog letters, Melissa and Doug letters, and let's not forget the dollar store letters, but I want a set with vowels differentiated and which we would use only for school.

These look nice, and I like the idea that they're foam

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER6297-Magnetic-Letters/dp/B0035EQDX6/ref=sr_1_16?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1308406661&sr=1-16

And these, while plastic, have a cool sorted box (!!!) That alone might be worth the increased price.

http://www.amazon.com/Lakeshore-Learning-Materials-Best-Buy-Magnetic/dp/B004ZAKWMC/ref=lh_ni_t

Any experience? Any other recommendations?

I don't think I'd want to spray paint the ones we have - the only ones that are contenders for that would be the plastic dollar store ones, and frankly I still have nightmares about all the spray painting I did for our wedding five years ago. (I lost all sensation except a tingling in the tip of my finger for months afterwards!)

I've had the melissa and doug ones but they're not durable. We currently have the lakeshore learning letters in blue/red but without that box (that's such a good idea, I love it!). Personally I don't like foam letters because the babies chew and damage them. If I could afford it right now, I'd be buying the lakeshore learning set with the sorter box (you can always use more magnetic letters).

I would like to get a set of color-coded magnetic letters for spelling jobs. We already have Leapfrog letters, Melissa and Doug letters, and let's not forget the dollar store letters, but I want a set with vowels differentiated and which we would use only for school.

These look nice, and I like the idea that they're foam

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER6297-Magnetic-Letters/dp/B0035EQDX6/ref=sr_1_16?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1308406661&sr=1-16

And these, while plastic, have a cool sorted box (!!!) That alone might be worth the increased price.

http://www.amazon.com/Lakeshore-Learning-Materials-Best-Buy-Magnetic/dp/B004ZAKWMC/ref=lh_ni_t

Any experience? Any other recommendations?

I have the Lakeshore Learning Magnetic Classroom Letters set and we love them! They are easy to use for the kids because the letter compartments make finding and sorting the letters easy. We also love the fact that the vowels are red for easy spotting for the kids.

I'm not sure how to post a link:confused:

Anyway, we have the Jolly Phonics magnetic letters, available from Amazon. The vowels are blue, consonants are red. There are also letter pairs: th, qu, ar, ai, oo, etc, and within these pairs there is also thin and wide letter pairs such as "oo" as in book and "oo" as in food. We also use the Jolly Phonics phonics program, so they are very helpful to us.

I bought 5 magnetic sheets for $8 from Amazon and used all five sheets to print out letters, numbers, math signs, and shapes. Cheap and multi-purpose!

:iagree:

You can color code the vowels too. I would make c and k the same color - same sound.

Y and W would be different color too because they are sometimes vowels.

I'm not sure how to post a link:confused:

Anyway, we have the Jolly Phonics magnetic letters, available from Amazon. The vowels are blue, consonants are red. There are also letter pairs: th, qu, ar, ai, oo, etc, and within these pairs there is also thin and wide letter pairs such as "oo" as in book and "oo" as in food. We also use the Jolly Phonics phonics program, so they are very helpful to us.

I'm looking at these online because they sound like a great combination between the standard red/blue sets and the touchphonics with the phonogram combinations... but I can't find those letter pairs listed in the description. I wonder if they've changed the set? :(

ETA: Okay, I now understand when they say they come with two of each sound, that refers to the phonemes... hurray. We have a winner, I just placed my order through Amazon. Thank you!

Edited by eloquacious

I'm looking at these online because they sound like a great combination between the standard red/blue sets and the touchphonics with the phonogram combinations... but I can't find those letter pairs listed in the description. I wonder if they've changed the set? :(

ETA: Okay, I now understand when they say they come with two of each sound, that refers to the phonemes... hurray. We have a winner, I just placed my order through Amazon. Thank you!

I just looked at my pack and this is what you get:

2 of each of the 42 letter sounds introduced in Jolly Phonics

4 each of the vowels a e i o

6 each of m and d

y is included as both red and blue, as a consonant and a vowel

Enjoy:D