Menu

Do fresh-picked strawberries need to be refrigerated?

It all depends on how quickly you plan on doing something with them (and how humid of an environment you live in, actually). If you think you can get them all processed into jam, consumed, baked into a pie, etc. within the next day or two, leaving them out on the counter should be okay.

If you are going to need a few more days, I would put a stash in the fridge. We picked 15lbs a few weeks ago and the ones on the counter lasted about 2 days and the ones in the fridge were really fading by about 2 weeks.

I always try to process, freeze or eat them the first day, leaving perhaps a pint for breakfast the next morning.

If you're going to make jam with them eventually, you can freeze them first (and make jam when it's cooler out.) That's quicker and easier if you have room in your freezer. The longer they sit out, the more go bad. Actually, I find a lot of rotten ones the next morning even if I put them in the refrigerator.

Well, I unfortunately let them sit out for about 5 hours or more, then thankfully put them in the fridge. Even so, there were some rotten ones this morn. I had NO idea they were so fragile! I think I should freeze some today and leave some for eating.

Rats, I was hoping to have them fresh for like a week-we get fresh ones so infrequently (since we'll only eat organic ones-we get mostly frozen).

Thanks for the help!

I do something with them within an hour or two, whether it's freeze them, make freezer jam or put them in the fridge. When I put the in the fridge, I get out my 9x13 glass casserole, line it with a paper towel and set the strawberries stem end down in the dish and then cover it with plastic wrap. They should keep that way for several days.