Menu

Dear Catholic friends: crucifix question

My friend's (non-religious) grandfather just passed away at the hospital. His longtime, devoutly Catholic caretaker was with him at the time, and she left a crucifix with him.

The hospital returned the crucifix to my Protestant friend along with her grandfather's other personal items.

Our question is--what is the appropriate thing to do with the crucifix? Should it be returned to the caretaker? Or something else? We want to honor her and not cause offense.

Thank you for your help!

Return it to the caretaker.

I'd be hurt if you just threw it away without even asking.

:iagree:

I'm not Catholic, but in Orthodoxy we often have items blessed by a priest (icons, wall crosses, jewelry, etc.) and if they were not going to be kept, I would want to have these items returned to be handled in a way that respects the blessing it has received, our faith and the intent with which it was given. I would rather hear, "We're not religious, and would just throw this away or give it to Goodwill, so we thought you might want to have it back, first, instead -- would you?" than to have it disposed of in such a way out of a concern that someone wouldn't want to hurt my feelings.