Menu

How do I help dd with math word problems?

I would use Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems. I would probably start with level 4 and learn how to use the bar method. Drawing the bars has really helped my ability to solve word problems. Now I can "see" what I'm trying to solve.

Karen

Check out:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/index.htm

Scroll down and you will see a section on Solving Word Problems

Also, I agree with the suggestion to check out Singapore Math - CWP.

HTH

This is something I struggled with immensely throughout my schooling. Dd has always struggled, too.

Can anyone recommend a supplement to go with her Lial's BCM that would help us crack this mysterious word math?

As always, thanks!!:grouphug:

For all those who recommended Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems, are you referring to Book 6? Does 6 mean 6th grade, or is level 6 well beyond that? I looked at the contents and noticed it includes algebra and some geometry, but without seeing the actual word problems, I'm not able to determine what level they're at. Is book 6 of CWP good prep for the more challenging word problems on the SAT? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

For all those who recommended Singapore Math Challenging Word Problems' date=' are you referring to Book 6? Does 6 mean 6th grade, or is level 6 well beyond that? I looked at the contents and noticed it includes algebra and some geometry, but without seeing the actual word problems, I'm not able to determine what level they're at. Is book 6 of CWP good prep for the more challenging word problems on the SAT? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)[/quote']

The thing about Singapore elementary is that it teaches you how to *think* about word problems, and how you can draw out what you know and figure out what you need to know. It teaches you how to cut-to-the-chase and just do the part you need, not to work out endless computations.

I agree that it's worth considering, if you have time.

There are also word problem books from Critical Thinking Press for algebra I and II. I have them but haven't used them much, so I'm not sure whether they would help her "get" them.

Julie

• 2 weeks later...

since it is too late for you go back and do things over, I would say this is one thing I like about TT. Their problems can be applied to real life situations that make sense. They can also walk you through the problem step by step.