Menu

Challenging your Math/Science/Engineering kid

It is so frustrating to me that so much of hs'ing is geared to girls- especially at the lower levels. I have been planning our year and realized that while my son struggles along w/reading he is adept at Math. He also has always been good at figuring out how things work and loves those kind of things.

I want to incorporate more into our day for those kind of things but don't know where to start. I think the confidence boost will only serve to help with his reading and I think he could really take off in this area. We don't have any kind of Lego club around here. Although, that sounds perfect I considered how much would it cost to start something like that but I don't know. We are in a small community that is far, far from affluent.

We are doing RSB and really drilling it in, I want him to know it really well. He is also doing CWP and says he loves Math. Next year for Science we are doing CK and science kits, along with Nature studies and whatever else I haven't decided. I would like more science geared toward engineering type things. I have the Snap Circuits in my cart as well for him.

What other cool things do mom's with boys(or girls) inclined this way use?

I had an entire thread about this. If you do a search - or just look thru the threads I've started...I got a LOT of incredible replies. My son is interested in becoming an architect or engineer...home builder...? Anyway, I decided to add a whole new subject to our curriculum: Career Studies. I sat down with the two oldest kids and had them pick out projects, models, curriculum, etc that they wanted to work thru this year.

My son picked out for this year...Complete-a-Sketch Orthographic Drawing, Amazing Bridges Kit, Carpentry for Children, Make magazine and he wants to do some projects at Home Depot. He's 8 yro, BTW.

Also, I was doing some projects around the house and instead of just "getting it done and doing it the way I wanted to do it" (that's my personality :tongue_smilie:), I loosened the reigns a little and told him to finish a project for me (I think he removed some blinds from the windows and hung a picture or something). Not bad for an 8 yro.

Primary Grade Challenge Math may still be a little much for him, but you might be able to work through the book now just doing the "level 1" exercises in each chapter and then go back through it later doing the higher level problems. He might be able to handle Penrose the Mathematical Cat soon, and a little later Number Devil. Once he's done with Primary Grade Challenge Math, Zaccaro has other titles for later elementary and middle school level science. The Math Olympiad books (they expect mathematically-apt 4th graders and above) are excellent and very challenging.

Some games he might enjoy... Sequence Dice for now. Muggins Math when he's a little more advanced. (I was unimpressed by Knock-out from the same company, but Muggins is great.)

I do think Snap Circuits is a good choice. If he's not reading well yet, you'll want to read the explanations from the booklet to him, though he'll also likely figure out a lot just playing with it.

We did First Lego League for several years, and I have mixed feelings on the whole thing. (We didn't do the Jr program.) The kids in the group *did* enjoy learning to program the robot to complete tasks...

http://www.mindware.com/ and http://www.museumtour.com/ both often have books, toys, and activities that cater to kids with a STEM interest.

The "Cool Stuff" books by Chris Woodward explain how various tech items work. "The New Way Things Work" explains many low tech items, simple machines, etc.

Thanks Starrbuck- I am checking out your thread now. I think that is a good idea, I need to talk to him about things he is interested in and see where he wants to go.

The Timberdoodle site looks cool as well, looks very dangerous!

OH, I had looked at that Muggins Math before but it was kind of pricey. We do enjoy Blokus and Quirkle though. I will have to check out that Sequence Dice I bet he would love that.

I will have to see on the Primary Challenge Math, it looks like a good one to have around. I have been looking at getting him some logic and thinking skills for next year anyway.

It is interesting on the drawing as that is something else he is really interested in- I have though about doing the Draw Squad online but didn't know if that is the best choice, it is really interesting how those things seem to be linked.

Well, part of the reason we homeschool is so that my dds (and ds) don't pick up on that mentality that math is for boys and reading is for girls. ;) :D

That said, if you are asking for resources for enriching math and science, there is another thread going right now, and I put a list in there. You can also search for threads on engineering, robotics, and computer programming resources for elementary students. There have been many lately, all full of great ideas and thoughtful replies. There are many of us with kiddos (even a few boys, I guess ;) who have a bent toward math and science.

Snap Circuits are a great start for that age. All of the engineering videos (Bridges, Dams, etc.) are fun and inspiring. He could start reading MAKE Magazine (their kits and books are for older dc unfortunately.) There isn't a lot to do so young, because most things require minimum reading and math skills (and those are probably the two most important ways to support a future engineer to start with,) but any type of building toy or strategy game is good. As a pp said, Timberdoodle is fabulous for ideas.

It is interesting on the drawing as that is something else he is really interested in- I have though about doing the Draw Squad online but didn't know if that is the best choice, it is really interesting how those things seem to be linked.

Just having the right tools around to play with is great for that age. Buy a set of basic drafting equipment (a good art or even office supply store should have some) and a big roll of paper and let him play to his heart's content. :001_smile:

:) Well I am more inclined to math and science myself. It seems to me from my experience that girls are more likely to be inclined to be better at the language areas though.

As ds is not inclined in the areas of language- written or reading doing early schooling I have had the impression that he was so behind. It has taken me this long to really figure out that he just is more adept in other areas and as those areas aren't focused on near as much it wasn't as apparent. Now I am hoping to remedy that and not let that keep him from progressing in those other areas.

I will check out the Make magazine and see if I can find the other threads, thanks for the tip. I try to keep an eye out for things but there are so many on here sometimes it is easy to miss things- Thanks again :)