Menu

teaching history using liturature

I'm trying to find a good history program. I plan on teaching American history this year. I looked into beautiful feet which I really liked except for the Christian aspect of it. We are Christian but I don't want to teach using the "hand of God" through the beginnings of America.I don't want something secular either. I'm just looking for chronological order and factual.

Any ideas?

What about Guest Hollow? It has the advantage of being free :D

Thank you, I have looked into them as well. I'm just seeing whats out there and what has worked for others :001_smile:. I figured with beautiful feet, I'd just have the extra cost of the manual which is under $20. I'm willing to spend some money for a little convenience but so far I have not found what I'm looking for!

Than you all for the links, I haven't heard of those programs/options. I will look into them. I don't mind doing the set-up, we have a really good library and I have a book budget. I am just having a hard time with chronological order. I am looking for a spine type book and then literature to make that period of time come alive and be memorable. Then I plan on using something like draw write now and history pockets for hands on activities. I also have a few DVDs that we are going to watch.

Than you all for the links, I haven't heard of those programs/options. I will look into them. I don't mind doing the set-up, we have a really good library and I have a book budget. I am just having a hard time with chronological order. I am looking for a spine type book and then literature to make that period of time come alive and be memorable. Then I plan on using something like draw write now and history pockets for hands on activities. I also have a few DVDs that we are going to watch.

I love doing history with great books. It's one of the things I wouldn't change about our homeschool. I use a bookintime.com. The books are listed chronologically, so I just pick books I want us to read and read them in the order they are listed. I have not always found it necessary to have a spine--especially when my kids are young. My goal when they are young is to get them excited about history--its people and the events. Once they are excited, they will want to know how it all fits together more. My kids LOVE history. It's their favorite subject.

My daughter is 8 and my son is 5, and we will be studying American History through literature as well. We are using My Father's World (Adventures) and Beautiful Feet. My Father's World has a book list that goes along with its chronological history study We will use literature from their book list and the Beautiful Feet Early American History package where it fits in (many of the Beautiful Feet books are already listed in the MFW book list). I like MFW because it's lit based and Christian, but also has narration, notebooking,and mapping all built in.