Menu

Starting a Spelling Notebook: A "Nuts and Bolts" Guide to the Writing Road to Reading

I've got it and I've used it. It was the hand holding I needed to do WRTR. Basically it explains how WRTR approaches spelling, I found the actually WRTR book to do a better job of this ;). Then it gives some direction for students beginning in K, 1st, 2nd or older. My dd was in 3rd when we started using WRTR, so it was helpful for me to see how the progression is suppose to go. Finally there are 3 sets of lesson plans, one for older students, one for those beginning in 3rd-6th grade and one for those beginning in 1st-2nd. The lesson plans detail how to teach the phonograms and in what order Mari McAllister suggests teaching them. She also includes a spelling diagnostic test and explains how to begin working through the Ayers list.

I would say it's helpful if you need another perspective on how to implement WRTR. WRTR is definitely doable, but it does take a bit of work on your part to get going. However, once you the phonograms are taught and you have a routine established for spelling, it's pretty much rinse and repeat. We are sticking with it as I've seen good results in dd's spelling. Hope that helps!

I had a chance to look through the handbook again. My reason for not being impressed is because I already learned a great deal from folks here. :D It seemed that I didn't learn anything new.

Paige does a good job of describing the layout of the book. There are detailed lesson plans for three different options when tackling the Ayres List. I didn't find these helpful for our particular situation because my son is young, 6.5yo, but quite a good speller; none of the daily lesson plan options were a good fit. Additionally, the reason I wanted to go with the WRTR in the first place was for the flexibility in scheduling and moving at our own pace. :)

She does have a diagnostic spelling test in the back. However, if you purchase the Spelling Assessment Manual (SAM), you will have 8 tests to administer. I found the SAM more useful than this handbook.

HTH,

Eva

WRTR can be scary at first. However the best advice I ever got (thanks to Ellie) was to just start. After you have read WRTR a few times just start at pint A and work you way through it. At first you may feel like you don't know what you are doing but I promise at some point it will click. It really isn't hard. After you have worked through the program a few weeks you will be laughing at yourself for how easy it really is to implement. I DID! If you have any specific questions the ladies here gave me some great advice. There is also a yahoo group. And definitely pick Ellie's brain she is the Spalding goddess in my opinion!

• 4 weeks later...