Menu

What do I do about this? (getting my dd to throw her trash away)

Yesterday I looked in the closet where my dd (13) keeps her sanitary supplies.

I found FIVE empty packages crammed back in there in various places. So for 5 months she's just been piling the new pack on top of the old empties.

This is not unusual. I have found 2 or 3 empty shampoo bottles in the shower, empty shaving gel cans.....

How do I get her to toss the oldies? I am not sure if it is laziness or just being oblivious, either is completely possible.

Suggestions?

It sounds like she needs a day to clean. I don't get to uptight about teenagers having messy rooms or clothes left on the floor. I don't like it, but I also don't like to nag about it.

When I notice things getting a bit beyond what I can look at or look away from, I usually have dd take a morning or afternoon to clean. We do ours whenever, but you could make it once a week or every other depending. Have her clean her bathroom and bedroom. Hand her a trash bag, cleaning supplies and some rags or papertowels. Let her do it. Even if it takes all day. Nothing else gets done until things are picked up, wiped down and/or thrown out.

I usually inspect when she's done. I don't go crazy pointing out every little thing, but try to focus on the bigger things she missed or find one or two things to work with her on.