Menu

New physics activities book for grades 5-9

kangato3

I was e-mailed an announcement of a new book: Companion Classroom Activities for Stop Faking It!: Force and Motion. The Stop Faking It series appears to be books for teachers to learn the science that they teach. However, this book contains student activities to teach the concepts. I previewed a sample chapter at this link and looks like it would supplement textbooks or other information books very nicely:

http://www.nsta.org/store/product_detail.aspx?id=10.2505/9781936137282&utm_source=enewsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BookBeatJune2011

Very oddly, a friend of mine who's a physics graduate student was just telling me about his summer job using this series to teach science to elementary teachers -- and how wonderful the curriculum was. Among other things, he said it had the best layman's explanation of light he'd ever seen.

Yes, this series of teacher resource books does look expensive. The link that I posted is a book of classroom activities that seems to only be offered for Force and Motion. I'm thinking of using this to supplement our CPO book in lieu of those photogate labs.

My dd (grade 6) and I used the Stop Faking It! Light book together this year. Even though it's supposed to be for teachers, it worked very well with the two of us studying it together. Very well indeed. We will be using the other books in the series next year.