Menu

Is Elemental Science Considered....

I think it follows the WTM rec's very closely. It uses some of the spines that SWB recommends, and incorporates narration and dictation.

If you've seen my other thread about science, ES was one of the programs I've tried. I really, really liked the idea of it, but I get the impression that following WTM rec's (rather than using any particular curriculum) would offer a lot more flexibility. We'd get to choose which topics and experiments we want to do. When we used ES, I felt locked into doing things the way the schedule said (I'm a box-checker). Then I got frustrated when I couldn't get my hands on necessary materials or when my kids wanted to study something different.

I think it absolutely follows TWTM - she even quotes TWTM at the beginning of her intro. as the basis for doing the curriculum that way she did. Now, of course, ANYONE could SAY that and then not follow the recs., but in our experience with ES (earth science & astronomy and now chemistry), Paige actually DOES follow TWTM recs. and does a nice job. It is laid out following the cycles of classical education, it uses living books and experiments to promote a love of learning/science, and she incorporates narrations/vocabulary work along with the "fun" learning so there are some "pegs" on which to hang the learning experience. We are sold on ES for science and SO excited that she is now introducing her logic stage courses.

HTH! :001_smile:

I think it follows the WTM rec's very closely. It uses some of the spines that SWB recommends, and incorporates narration and dictation.

If you've seen my other thread about science, ES was one of the programs I've tried. I really, really liked the idea of it, but I get the impression that following WTM rec's (rather than using any particular curriculum) would offer a lot more flexibility. We'd get to choose which topics and experiments we want to do. When we used ES, I felt locked into doing things the way the schedule said (I'm a box-checker). Then I got frustrated when I couldn't get my hands on necessary materials or when my kids wanted to study something different.

That makes sense...I have ES (grammar and logic stage Biology), and I can see how that could happen to me...On one hand, I love the security and ease of having a curriculum...On the other hand, it becomes a measure for me to live up to and brings guilt if I don't finish it or do it like the book says (either that or DH brings the guilt when he asks if we finished it, or why didn't we do _____?)

I planned our science this year based losely on TWTM and we loved it! We did lots of exploring of topics the boys were interested in and read lots of library books. Their binders are a beautiful portfolio of what they learned and did.

However, next year I will be using ES (Chemistry for the Grammar Stage) because I am not as comfortable creating/teaching chemistry lessons on my own. I am afraid we won't like being "free" but I hope it will work for us. I am also worried about getting all the supplies for the experiments.

Overall, it seems like the best curriculum to give me guidance, but also followed TWTM.

I'll let you know how it goes in the fall!:)

That makes sense...I have ES (grammar and logic stage Biology), and I can see how that could happen to me...On one hand, I love the security and ease of having a curriculum...On the other hand, it becomes a measure for me to live up to and brings guilt if I don't finish it or do it like the book says (either that or DH brings the guilt when he asks if we finished it, or why didn't we do _____?)

Exactly. I've gone back and forth about whether to do my own thing based on WTM or give ES another shot with both biology levels. This year I was using physics and intro. I've never cared much for physics, so that was probably half my problem when it came to sticking with the program.

Still deciding on science so loving this thread! Where does RSO fit in here?

I'd say RSO is a step or two away from the WTM-way of science. It still spends an entire year on one subject and divides subjects up in the same way (i.e., biology, earth science/astronomy, chemistry). It utilizes regular (and fun) experiments.

But it moves away from the reading of actual science encyclopedias and instead has a bit more of a textbook feel to it. Now personally, I have no issue with this! :D

I'd agree that ES is absolutely the WTM-way of doing science. It's fleshed out and set up for you. But if you do it in a rule-based way, I can totally see the frustration. For me, it gives me accountability, it schedules experiments that I might otherwise slack on entirely, and it provides some extra fun with the coloring/cutting. I guess you have to ask yourself if what you're skipping is really important or not. Are you skipping in order to pursue rabbit trails, or just because? I ask, because if it's the latter, you might be much happier just choosing your own stuff and skipping the curriculum.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't say that either WTM or ES really use "living" books for science. That may just be my own definition of living books, though. I don't consider the encyclopedias to be living books, or even the plant book in biology (which I love, by the way).

I

I'd agree that ES is absolutely the WTM-way of doing science. It's fleshed out and set up for you. But if you do it in a rule-based way, I can totally see the frustration. For me, it gives me accountability, it schedules experiments that I might otherwise slack on entirely, and it provides some extra fun with the coloring/cutting. I guess you have to ask yourself if what you're skipping is really important or not. Are you skipping in order to pursue rabbit trails, or just because? I ask, because if it's the latter, you might be much happier just choosing your own stuff and skipping the curriculum.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't say that either WTM or ES really use "living" books for science. That may just be my own definition of living books, though. I don't consider the encyclopedias to be living books, or even the plant book in biology (which I love, by the way).

We started using ES this year, after being less-than-enamored with RS4K. I like it, but use it more as a guide than anything. If I could go back, I would not have bought the student workbooks.

Also, I use as "inspiration" to get living books from the library, and we do our narrations mostly from these -- books about penguins, or flamingos, or whatever. My girls have really been enjoying doing science that way, and so am I!

Used ES-Bio this year and I can say without a doubt it follows TWTM guidelines / structure, etc.

1. EASY to implement and follow.

2. Age appropriate and very easy to ramp up for the olders.

3. Time and time again there are posts on this board it is the ONLY science program their family has actually stuck to.

4. Does the copywork / narration just like SWB suggests.

5. Does copywork/narration 2-3 times a week with drawings just as suggested.

6. Uses a comprable experiment book to the Mudpies to Magnets the SWB suggests.

We liked it enough we are doing ES-Eart Science and Astronomy in the fall with plans to keep going and take on Chem the following year.