Menu

If you are attracted to the all-in-one currics. but can't commit

I was 100% in the OP's camp when I opened this thread. The "all-in-one" always appealed to me initially because I wanted the ease of a comprehensive program - but I've tried most of the "biggies" and given up because I tweaked them to oblivion and then figured "what good are they now?"

But after reading through this thread, I think I've gained a new perspective. I think I fell victim to expecting an all-in-one to be the end-all-be-all, especially after investing the $ in it. But now I am wondering if I can look at them again with the idea in mind that it is my safety net, my guiding base, my framework - to which I can tweak as I like but use it as the well-researched, sequential, skill-building framework it was intended to basically be.

Hmmmm, I see more curriculum research in my future! LOL

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I want to jump in here and just say that for me, choosing a boxed curriculum (Winter Promise - American Story 1) is a life saver. I work full time from home with set hours. I've always dreamed of homeschooling, but with working full-time, I never thought it was possible. The private school my kids went to upped their prices a lot and we can't afford it anymore. Our PS is horrible, dreadful. So, I'm taking on the task of working full time and HS at the same time. Crazy? Yes, but I think it's best for us. And that is why a boxed curriculum is best in our situation. No family is exactly like another. What works for one won't necessarily work for another, and vice-versa.

I wish I had the ability to sit and plan out my own curriculum, that would be my ideal world, but it's not possible for me right now. Actually, I am planning out a few mini-units and researching them and buying the books and trying to figure out how best to inhibit learning for my kids, but that's as much as I can do right now. Maybe next year I'll start earlier (just decided to HS around 10 days ago) and have more time to figure one out.

For instance, instead of using WP's Children Around the World, I was thinking of taking the time to get a list of all the missionaries our church sponsors and then write to them and get info about the work they do and their families and then find books about the area of the world their in. I would have my children write letters to the missionaries and all that jazz. That is my dream for when we get time to do a world study, but will it happen? I'm not sure. If I have proper planning, I should be able to do it, but, again, I work full time. I don't know if I will have time to plan. :(

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Hope you're all doing well.

This is the first year in 13 or 14 years that I bought a programmer curriculum. I am nervous...to say the least...lol...but I am burnt out...tired...and need my hand held this year. I am tweaking very little...I just added a different text to Sonlight core W. I wanted a more grade level type text...and I am happy with the one I chose. Child's Hx of the World is too childish for my 13 yo...

Other than that...I am going for plan as written. We shall see how I feel by week 6:D

Faithe

Hi all. I want to jump in here and just say that for me, choosing a boxed curriculum (Winter Promise - American Story 1) is a life saver. I work full time from home with set hours. I've always dreamed of homeschooling, but with working full-time, I never thought it was possible. The private school my kids went to upped their prices a lot and we can't afford it anymore. Our PS is horrible, dreadful. So, I'm taking on the task of working full time and HS at the same time. Crazy? Yes, but I think it's best for us. And that is why a boxed curriculum is best in our situation. No family is exactly like another. What works for one won't necessarily work for another, and vice-versa.

I wish I had the ability to sit and plan out my own curriculum, that would be my ideal world, but it's not possible for me right now. Actually, I am planning out a few mini-units and researching them and buying the books and trying to figure out how best to inhibit learning for my kids, but that's as much as I can do right now. Maybe next year I'll start earlier (just decided to HS around 10 days ago) and have more time to figure one out.

For instance, instead of using WP's Children Around the World, I was thinking of taking the time to get a list of all the missionaries our church sponsors and then write to them and get info about the work they do and their families and then find books about the area of the world their in. I would have my children write letters to the missionaries and all that jazz. That is my dream for when we get time to do a world study, but will it happen? I'm not sure. If I have proper planning, I should be able to do it, but, again, I work full time. I don't know if I will have time to plan. :(

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Hope you're all doing well.

I also work full time from home...and homeschool my kids. It is do-able...and yes, having a pre written schedule has made my stress level much lighter this year going in. We are using SL and HOD for my younger guys plus CLE for math and LA....