Menu

If you are attracted to the all-in-one currics. but can't commit

I'm just wondering how many other people there are like me out there. When I start reading posts about MFW or HOD, or even SL, I start drooling. It sounds so great to have everything linked together. It sounds wonderful to have an entire day already laid out for you on one page. I even ordered a HOD catalog last night just so I could read it over.

But, last summer, I spent the entire time researching curriculum and decided not to go with any of these. At one point previously, we had ordered a SL core, and I quickly became disenchanted with the Teacher's Guide. I hated being told when we could read certain books. So we ended up just using those books as bonus literature.

While the thought of having a whole day planned out for me sounds so appealing, my rebellious nature hates being told what to do. I love books, and I love having the freedom to pick and choose what we will be reading - and then drop it if it's not working.

My other issue is that I want us to be engaged and challenged on every level. And yet I can't help but wonder if life would be more enjoyable if I would just drop the academic pressure and let my son take the 'easier' road once in a while.

Anyone else in this boat?

Oh, and I also will have a K & K4 this year, along with my 3rd grader, which is making these 'whole family at the same time' deals look even more attractive.

Edited by JessReplanted

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never thought I would like a schedule to tell me what to do, but honestly, once I tried it...it was so nice not to have to plan that subject! We use SL for History and now Science. This will be our 4th year with SL. I plan on doing my own thing for middle school grades, but by now I am so spoiled with the planning I wonder if I will really be able to do it :tongue_smilie:

I bought SL with every intention of looking and sending it back. I have to plan some subjects, but as life got busier I was grateful for the time I didn't have to spend weekly on school planning.

it either works for you or it doesn't. SL stuff isn't perfect. We rarely use their questions, but do our own, or even do narrations of the readings. We talk a lot. The kids draw a lot when I talk and then write sentences about their drawings. The beauty of a schedule is tweaking it to work for you.

I threw out the reading schedule this spring for the first time and we are just reading at our own pace in everything. It's not lined up well, but it's ok, the kids are happy and we are still learning. make it your own and you may find it works just fine.

I'd love an all in one package. I drool all the time. But with my age range and my budget I never seem to get past the drool stage.

I'm planning for the Fall, and once again it's going to be a custom mix for me and mine. Sigh. I always feel like I'm re-inventing the wheel...

And would someone please write a good German language curriculum for elementary aged children?

While the thought of having a whole day planned out for me sounds so appealing, my rebellious nature hates being told what to do. I love books, and I love having the freedom to pick and choose what we will be reading - and then drop it if it's not working.

My other issue is that I want us to be engaged and challenged on every level. And yet I can't help but wonder if life would be more enjoyable if I would just drop the academic pressure and let my son take the 'easier' road once in a while.

Oh, and I also will have a K & K4 this year, along with my 3rd grader, which is making these 'whole family at the same time' deals look even more attractive.

Other than the kids ages, I had to check that I didn't write this post in my sleep or something :)

I am exactly the same way. Love the idea of it all planned out. Until I don't like having it all planned out, lol.

Katie

I finally did commit. I bought a Living Books Curriculum set used for next year. I decided there were some books we wouldn't use. Then I knew I wanted to add on to some of the subjects. Then I thought there were some subjects that I wanted to use something else for. At this point, I'm thinking I'm pretty much right where I always have been. I love the idea of getting it all together (one box! yay!) Schedule all done for me! Yay! I don't have to spend all summer planning and still not getting it done. Yay!

But......I tweak so much the schedule becomes almost useless. I will never follow a "Day one, read pp. 41-52" type of schedule--even my own. Any complete curriculum seems to have things I don't want and things I do want need to be added on. I do spend way too much time looking at stuff and figuring out what I want to do. But--guess what--even with my lovely Living Books Curriculum box sitting right here next to me---I'm still doing it!!!

So, I think to me those all in ones are sexy, appealing, but when I actually get together with one I realize they're not my kind of homeschool. Maybe it's better for me to just enjoy the looking.:tongue_smilie:

I've been back and forth over these as well as I have long contemplated K (and everything that comes after it :p). After examining my own priorities and habits I'm planning to surrender to an "all-in-one" though. It's such a personal, individual decision to make from among a myriad of wonderful possibilities and it's exhausting! I've had to face though that I, personally, am not going to be able to do it all ("all" being all that I would want to do if I had all the time and energy in the world to focus on each child individually) for each of my children. The 4Rs are most important to me so that's where I'm going to focus my energies while I surrender everything else to an "all-in-one". IF there is time/energy/interest for extra on top of it then I'll address it as it comes but I'm not scheduling it. I felt like I was giving stuff up by going this route but when I'm honest with myself (knowing me personally) we're more likely to get more done in the long run because of my own tendency to skimp when the planning is all in my court. I wish I wasn't so strongly this way inclined but I have realized I've got to work with what is at the moment rather than what ideally should be and hopefully will be in future.

Meanwhile, I'm incredibly thankful that I have choices, even in choosing an "all-in-one", that are not at all like sending my children to school.:001_huh:

Hopefully my typing is coherent - I'm yet to have my second cup of coffee this morning. :blink:

So, I think to me those all in ones are sexy, appealing, but when I actually get together with one I realize they're not my kind of homeschool. Maybe it's better for me to just enjoy the looking.:tongue_smilie:

... some stay-at-home moms watch day-time soaps ...

... some read romance novels ...

... some browse curriculum catalogs ...

:tongue_smilie:;):D

Oh Yes definitely! I'm right along with woolybear. I am drawn each and every year to the boxed curricula, I spend endless time researching and then I choose one. Once I get it, the love affair is pretty much over and I realize that I always make that mistake. On one hand I want something all easy and planned out for me because it will make my life easier, right?? I have a very busy home with lots of little ones to tend to. Who has time for all that planning? Yet, I just can't leave well enough alone. I don't like this, I think I need to add that, let's drop that, let's read that a little faster than the schedule says.....then I'm left with something totally different than what I purchased in the first place along with the guilt for all the money I spent on it. You would think I would have learned by now, but I sadly I haven't. I'm still looking for that *perfect* one (although I already know it doesn't exist). I even keep going back to ones I've tried before and couldn't make work. :tongue_smilie:

:lol::lol:

I love the IDEA of an all-in-one, tell-me-what-to-do curricula (I want it to be my mom, lol), but my kids are so asynchronous in their abilities that it never works, esp with dd being such a visual learner. If I tried something based on lots of readalouds like SL she would run away :tongue_smilie:.

I too spent many years looking for the perfect curriculum. I examined all of the popular ones and the unpopular too. There was always something not quite right with each one. I'm too picky, I guess!:001_smile: I've finally settled down with the idea that while I may use curricula for skill subjects and have finally found ones I like, but I will follow my own path in other areas. I love that I get to make it perfect for me and my girls.

My complaints, in general, with many of the all-in-one curricula were:

*I couldn't live with the books (some had too many, some had not enough, some had them too easy, some leaned too heavily on historical fiction, etc.)and this was very important to me!

* I didn't like the activities (too meaningless, busywork, too complicated,etc.)

* I couldn't make their scope and sequence work for me/where the girls and I were in levels and in time period

* I couldn't ever justify the price

I did say I was picky!:lol:

My girls and I have found our path. We love the way we approach learning and don't plan on any major changes again. Whew! What a relief after all of that searching! The frustrating part for me is that I knew what I liked and wanted all along. I just kept thinking that from all of the raving of the ladies here on this board about these various curricula that I must be missing something. I was convinced that I should try harder to conform so that we could make one fit for us. I do have many days when I would love to feel a little less pressure but I also know that along with the pressure to prepare and create the lessons myself comes with it the thorough knowledge I need to teach it well.

I finally committed, too :) I found that when I was putting things together myself I was dropping many of the skills that I so want to work on with my kids. Consistent narration, dictation, interacting with the material instead of just consuming it, lovely penmanship...those were so easily overlooked in the frenzy of "do this so we can get to that". I know some people can make it work beautifully, but I bombed :D. I tend to schedule too much work, too little fun, and then end up burnt out and dropping half of it. Plus I hate planning. I like organizing before the school year starts, but weekly planning just isn't happening around here. I will say, though, that I am only attracted to all-in-ones that have skills integrated.

I finally committed' date=' too :) I found that when I was putting things together myself I was dropping many of the skills that I so want to work on with my kids. Consistent narration, dictation, interacting with the material instead of just consuming it, lovely penmanship...those were so easily overlooked in the frenzy of "do this so we can get to that". I know some people can make it work beautifully, but I bombed :D. I tend to schedule too much work, too little fun, and then end up burnt out and dropping half of it. Plus I hate planning. I like organizing before the school year starts, but weekly planning just isn't happening around here. I will say, though, that I am only attracted to all-in-ones that have skills integrated.[/quote']

This is exactly me. Wish it wasn't, but it is and I'm getting over it. :tongue_smilie::lol:

I'm exactly in that boat. I love the idea of having everything laid out, but I know it wouldn't work out. It's just not what I want for our homeschool. If I wanted someone else to determine my children's day I guess I'd just send them to school. ;)

Great minds think alike ;)

For a long time I avoided them b/c I thought it would be too much like school at home. Then I realized I was reinventing the wheel unnecessarily. That led me to TOG: tweakable, but still put together enough to save on planning and gathering.

Another area I piece-mealed was Language Arts. Then a whole bunch of gaps appeared from about 4th grade on. This led me to The Phonics Road. ALL of my language arts need wrapped in one great place.

I have enjoyed the ease of use and high quality of both so much that I signed up for affiliate programs once they were in effect (after I had used them both for some time).

I still follow my own schedule (don't use one anymore, actually, we do the rotating list of subjects we know we have to get done...loop scheduling) and I pick and choose, the bonus is, I have a great resource to pick and choose from and it saves me a TON of time!

I felt the same way until last summer;). My dh told me just to get the Beyond guide and give it a try. I pretty much had all the books used with it already that I was trying to plan myself. We loved it and plan to stick with HOD for awhile.

I use what works for me. Some years I order full SL cores, some years I pick and choose. I don't follow the IG to a T--I use it as a "guide" and not as the task-master. We skip what we want to skip--most of the time I only use the 1-page guide at the front that says what order the books are used & what week they are introduced. I don't need the daily guide most of the time (and when books are mixed up in order, we often just read them in order anyway).

I too thought I'd like to see LA etc... woven in, but it just didn't work for us--so while I have used Sonlight or an eclectic mix for our "base," and I might occasionally make an LA assignment "tie in," I focus on things where my kids are at for LA, science, math etc...

I really like SL's lit. and reader selections, sometimes the history--so some years we use it all, some years just parts. Have fun!

Merry :-)

I finally committed' date=' too :) I found that when I was putting things together myself I was dropping many of the skills that I so want to work on with my kids. Consistent narration, dictation, interacting with the material instead of just consuming it, lovely penmanship...those were so easily overlooked in the frenzy of "do this so we can get to that". I know some people can make it work beautifully, but I bombed :D. I tend to schedule too much work, too little fun, and then end up burnt out and dropping half of it. Plus I hate planning. I like organizing before the school year starts, but weekly planning just isn't happening around here. I will say, though, that I am only attracted to all-in-ones that have skills integrated.[/quote']

This is exactly why we decided on HOD for this year. I was in the same boat. I decided to give in to having things all planned out for me for the peace of mind of knowing I was covering everything. Plus, we have so many wacky days around here, I like the idea of being able to go on auto pilot with my planned out guide.

Jess, for what it's worth, the SL guide did not appeal to me either, but MFW and HOD did. I actually avoided HOD for awhile, but finally realized the simplicity and streamlining were going to allow us to breathe a little and have time for real life. Especially once I was convinced of its thoroughness and skill building. I finally came to realize that she had planned out everything I had already been trying to do, so like someone else said, why reinvent the wheel?

Also, I found it a lot easier to plan things myself when I was only schooling 1 child. Now that there's 2, my brain was getting too full to keep up with it all and a toddler and baby too.

AHHHH!!! Have you been to my house??:lol::lol: (I think I need to go hide my pile of catalogs under my pillow...is there a 12-step group I could join for this?):blushing:

I am like you. I look and look and "ooh" and "aah" over Winter Promise and Sonlight. I love the books and the look of Winter Promise. I almost get persuaded by the persuasive advertising of Sonlight. ;)

But when I come back down to earth, I think two thoughts: In the first place, WOW, those programs are expensive! In the second place, WOW, I'll be paying big bucks for a reading list/schedule that I will not want to follow. I don't like being told on Day X to read Book Y, pages A through Z.

And isn't that what I would buy a package for? To be told what to do, so my brain could go on auto-pilot? There is a part of me that thinks this is so... anti-classical? Isn't it a bit hypocritical for the teacher to want her thinking done for her? I'm not judging, just sharing my (warped) though process. :blushing:

Sigh.

So it's back to planning again.

Then I start looking at the catalogs and websites..... Hmm, Tapestry looks good...

I have always used some kind of boxed curriculum for history...SL, HOD, and now MFW. With your preferences, I would say MFW fits. I love that I have the skeleton planned out and it offers something for everyone. Then I can look around and develop my own reading list for each kid which offers a chance to customize for reading level and interests. Plus, there is no schedule telling me they have to finish a certain book by a certain time.

I thought of switching to separate history, Bible, and science this coming year, but I would then think about the fact that MFW has it all planned out for me. Plus, they have the crafts, mapping, time lines, notebooking, and experiments all laid out as well. I use it as a menu to pick and choose from. Then, we add in books that interest us. Works wonderfully and I don't feel guilty if we end up not liking a certain book or I want my kids to read something that isn't even related to our studies. MFW is so tweakable and works great if you are combining kids.

Edited by mothergooseofthree

my rebellious nature hates being told what to do.

You made me smile! I have had a hard time explaining to my Abeka friend why I choose the eclectic route. This is probably the right answer: I'm a rebel and I can't stand being told what to do and when to do it! What if we get off track in one subject? Oh horrors!!!

I even called Timberdoodle after someone on here mentioned they had a good experience getting their box customized. I called them but realized afterwards I was still gonna spend about $400 for a box full of stuff I might not like. I'm such a chicken!!

I'm just wondering how many other people there are like me out there. When I start reading posts about MFW or HOD, or even SL, I start drooling. It sounds so great to have everything linked together. It sounds wonderful to have an entire day already laid out for you on one page. I even ordered a HOD catalog last night just so I could read it over.

But, last summer, I spent the entire time researching curriculum and decided not to go with any of these. At one point previously, we had ordered a SL core, and I quickly became disenchanted with the Teacher's Guide. I hated being told when we could read certain books. So we ended up just using those books as bonus literature.

Are you my long, lost twin? :lol: I love the looks of lesson plans that cover all or most subjects. It just seems like it would make my life so.much.easier. However, I am just not the kind of person that thrives on being told what to do. I am rebellious that way...probably the main reason that God led me to homeschool! Ask me again when I have a bunch of kids that I am teaching all at once, but I still think I will be doing my weekly planning!

This is exactly why we decided on HOD for this year. I was in the same boat. I decided to give in to having things all planned out for me for the peace of mind of knowing I was covering everything. Plus, we have so many wacky days around here, I like the idea of being able to go on auto pilot with my planned out guide.

Me too ;)

Also, I found it a lot easier to plan things myself when I was only schooling 1 child. Now that there's 2, my brain was getting too full to keep up with it all and a toddler and baby too.

Yes, this. Minus the baby & toddler. :) I was fine planning for Rebecca and letting Sylvia do her own preschool thing. But once Sylvia hit K, I hyperventilated a bit. We're doing MFW in the fall.

Jess, for what it's worth, the SL guide did not appeal to me either, but MFW and HOD did. I actually avoided HOD for awhile, but finally realized the simplicity and streamlining were going to allow us to breathe a little and have time for real life. Especially once I was convinced of its thoroughness and skill building. I finally came to realize that she had planned out everything I had already been trying to do, so like someone else said, why reinvent the wheel?

I am looking over HOD again, and it looks so good. Shame on you for tempting me. :tongue_smilie::lol: So, are you going to use one program for your two older kids? I would only use one program, even though mine are spaced out a bit further.

We had a *better* year this year, but it was still so overwhelmingly stressful at times. We used Mystery of History, Apologia zoology 2, WWE1, Growing with Grammar, Singapore Math, Abeka spelling, & a bunch of extra lit & history books. If there really was a curriculum that took some of the pressure off of me, and homeschooling more enjoyable, it might be worth having to follow a guide book. Hmm...

I also was tempted to write off boxed curricula after a disenchanting year with Sonlight. But then I found HoD and fell in love with the teacher's guide, then the books, then the skills. I decided to give it a try.

I had always enjoyed researching and piecing together my own curriculum, and even though HoD had everything I wanted and more, I initially found it really hard to go to a tight, pre-planned schedule. I too was a rebellious, free-curriculum-spirit. :001_smile:

Finally at the end of our second year with HoD, I got into the groove. I guess I just got used to following a schedule! Instead of a confining box, the guide became a comforting, confidence-inspiring safety net. Our bookshelves are filling with wonderful books that I didn't have to find on my own. I have peace and freedom from worry that my DS will grow in needed skills as he approaches middle and high school. AND HoD slowly trains students to become more independent in their schooling which is freeing for me.

So if following a schedule is your only frustration in going with boxed, you may find that just giving it some time will do wonders.

I'm plugging my ears to all this speak of skills in HOD... lalalalalalala. :D

The WTM was my first intro to out-of-the-box hsing, and I've spent many years, tears, and sleepless nights working at it. That's why when it comes down to it, I can never commit to other things. Whenever I feel overwhelmed with it, which is usually (since I tend to make things more work than need be), I start looking at the pre-planned curricula. I've researched so many of them that I have a horde of useless homeschool curricula knowledge in my brain. I always wimp out before buying when I realize I'd be trying to add the pre-planned guide on top of my WTM stuff. Some things I just can't let go of, namely specific skills & long-term goals laid out in TWTM. Let's see how many days it is before I go check out the HOD site again, this time in search of how it accomplishes skills... :tongue_smilie:

:lol: Yeah, baby, yeah! (imagine it in an Austin Powers voice)

Thanks so much for this thread!

I have never been able to articulate WHY a box curriculum doesn't work for me, but now I think I can based on some other posts. I have been left scratching my head as to why I hated these wonderful curriculums so much when I actually tried to use them :lol:! (HOD twice, and I still look at the website!)

I think I am just a rebel. I think I start feeling claustrophobic when someone else starts telling me to read page 13 on day 21....and I am a box checker and get driven crazy when I don't "do everything on a page"! It turns out I just want the basics, and I will add other stuff in as I feel like it.

I envy those of you who are able to and love a "box"! And, I couldn't really justify spending all my free time looking at curriculum if I found something I loved, now could I :lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!

I am looking over HOD again, and it looks so good. Shame on you for tempting me. :tongue_smilie::lol: So, are you going to use one program for your two older kids? I would only use one program, even though mine are spaced out a bit further.

We had a *better* year this year, but it was still so overwhelmingly stressful at times. We used Mystery of History, Apologia zoology 2, WWE1, Growing with Grammar, Singapore Math, Abeka spelling, & a bunch of extra lit & history books. If there really was a curriculum that took some of the pressure off of me, and homeschooling more enjoyable, it might be worth having to follow a guide book. Hmm...

I am using one program for both of my olders (3rd and 1st) The ladies on the message board are really good for helping you figure out the best plan. The thing that attracted me the most is how she streamlined everything. For instance, much of the LA is integrated into a history lesson etc., so you kill 2 birds with one stone. They use R&S, but suggest doing much of it orally. (it only takes us a few minutes to complete a R&S lesson). They also use Singapore, which you are already doing.

The lesson plans move to just 4 days a week at one level. and each level gets more and more independent, freeing up your time. :)

But most of all, I'm convinced that it is totally thorough! She is a homeschool mom like us, who tried all sorts of things, but was convinced you could have a solid education without taking up your whole day!

If you have a chance, go to the message board to the main board and look at her "reasons behind HOD choices" post. Very helpful.

Though we use Sonlight materials, I have looked into the "all in one" grade level curricula (every subject included)...just for the fun of it. I have to admit, the thought of a huge box full of books and materials arriving at my doorstep sounds soooooooooo exciting!! But, then I come back to the reality that my big girl just isn't a "one grade all around" kind of kid...ah nuts!

Edited by MissKNG
I bolded my "sooooooooooo"

I also was tempted to write off boxed curricula after a disenchanting year with Sonlight. But then I found HoD and fell in love with the teacher's guide, then the books, then the skills. I decided to give it a try.

I had always enjoyed researching and piecing together my own curriculum, and even though HoD had everything I wanted and more, I initially found it really hard to go to a tight, pre-planned schedule. I too was a rebellious, free-curriculum-spirit. :001_smile:

Finally at the end of our second year with HoD, I got into the groove. I guess I just got used to following a schedule! Instead of a confining box, the guide became a comforting, confidence-inspiring safety net. Our bookshelves are filling with wonderful books that I didn't have to find on my own. I have peace and freedom from worry that my DS will grow in needed skills as he approaches middle and high school. AND HoD slowly trains students to become more independent in their schooling which is freeing for me.

So if following a schedule is your only frustration in going with boxed, you may find that just giving it some time will do wonders.

I think this is me, too. When I first talked to DH about it I was trying to explain to him that the daily, scripted schedule didn't give me the liberty I enjoyed currently. I'd experimented with both and was really getting into a groove of tailoring my own days. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out long term and the only things I've been consistent about are phonics, math and handwriting (in that order .. so, at the very least, phonics :tongue_smilie:) so that's how I ended up deciding it might perhaps be best if I handed over the scheduling for the other things to someone else. I can see it taking a time of adjustment but at least the path is laid out waiting for me (with it's skill progression which I personally don't have my own experience with) and isn't dependent upon me to lay it out myself and I can keep my focus on what is most important to me academically and what comes more easily to me so at the end of the day I can trust it's all covered and I'm not popping pills for anxiety.

I'm sure some of you other ladies, even the all-in-one box ladies, could put together an awesome, full, well rounded curriculum all by yourselves but unfortunately for me and mine, I'm not a super-teachermom-woman like y'all (I would laugh here but it kinda makes me sad that I'm not). Thankfully I know I don't have to be to give my children a better (and more God honoring) education than they would get in school. Maybe when I have more experience under my belt I'll metamorphis into a super-teachermom-woman with y'all. :D

I think this is me, too. When I first talked to DH about it I was trying to explain to him that the daily, scripted schedule didn't give me the liberty I enjoyed currently. I'd experimented with both and was really getting into a groove of tailoring my own days. Unfortunately, it didn't pan out long term and the only things I've been consistent about are phonics, math and handwriting (in that order .. so, at the very least, phonics :tongue_smilie:) so that's how I ended up deciding it might perhaps be best if I handed over the scheduling for the other things to someone else. I can see it taking a time of adjustment but at least the path is laid out waiting for me (with it's skill progression which I personally don't have my own experience with) and isn't dependent upon me to lay it out myself and I can keep my focus on what is most important to me academically and what comes more easily to me so at the end of the day I can trust it's all covered and I'm not popping pills for anxiety.

I'm sure some of you other ladies, even the all-in-one box ladies, could put together an awesome, full, well rounded curriculum all by yourselves but unfortunately for me and mine, I'm not a super-teachermom-woman like y'all (I would laugh here but it kinda makes me sad that I'm not). Thankfully I know I don't have to be to give my children a better (and more God honoring) education than they would get in school. Maybe when I have more experience under my belt I'll metamorphis into a super-teachermom-woman with y'all. :D

A lot of this is true for me as well. I tried to pull together my own for this past year, and while we did ok, like you, the only things that stayed consistent were LA and math.

The nice thing for me about HOD is that is doesn't take much time, so I could technically add things to fulfill that "freedom" need if I wanted to.

I haven't read any of the post, but I completely understand! I can't follow directions!! Not because I don't understand but because I am the type of person who has to do my own thing. I do use packaged programs, but I can't follow it word for word and I make it work for us. I think it would much easier if I just did, but I just don't have it in me. :tongue_smilie: This way does cost me a little extra since I have to spend more to add on or replace parts that I don't use. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but just modify it! ;)

I'm exactly in that boat. I love the idea of having everything laid out, but I know it wouldn't work out. It's just not what I want for our homeschool. If I wanted someone else to determine my children's day I guess I'd just send them to school. ;)

Ouch, this has touched on a sore spot for me. Can we please not "eat our own" when it comes to judging others for choosing an all-in-one plan vs. creating your own? I'm new to homeschooling, but not to education, and as a former public school teacher and educational consultant I can personally attest that the exact same curriculum in the hands of two different teachers can yield vastly different results. As the homeschooling mother, YOU are the heart and soul of your child's education. What comes out of it is so much more than the simply what's printed in the teacher's manual, should you choose to use one.

I am a dyed in the wool tweaker myself, and I could spend hours browsing the internet and homeschool store for resources. However, I have friends that are hesitant to homeschool because they do not feel prepared. Would you really tell them that if they are going to use an all-in-one they might as well be keeping their child in public school?

I am strongly considering using a literature rich program next year as my base. Nothing can take the tweaker out of me, and I will never be a slave to an instructor's guide, but I have no shame in easing my burden by leaning on the careful planning of another like-minded educator whose program supports my overall goals.

Edited by 4peanuts

Ouch, this has touched on a sore spot for me. Can we please not "eat our own" when it comes to judging others for choosing an all-in-one plan vs. creating your own? I'm new to homeschooling, but not to education, and as a former public school teacher and educational consultant I can personally attest that the exact same curriculum in the hands of two different teachers can yield vastly different results. As the homeschooling mother, YOU are the heart and soul of your child's education. What comes out of it is so much more than the simply what's printed in the teacher's manual, should you choose to use one.

I am a dyed in the wool tweaker myself, and I could spend hours browsing the internet and homeschool store for resources. However, I have friends that are hesitant to homeschool because they do not feel prepared. Would you really tell them that if they are going to use an all-in-one they might as well be keeping their child in public school?

I am strongly considering using a literature rich program next year as my base. Nothing can take the tweaker out of me, and I will never be a slave to an instructor's guide, but I have no shame in easing my burden by leaning on the careful planning of another like-minded educator whose program supports my overall goals.

This was so encouraging to read. :001_wub:

Yes! This ^^ (bolded) and that's exactly how it went for me. I looked for a "package" that contained much of what I was already doing anyway! In a perfect world, I would love to plan it all myself, but life gets pretty hectic around here! thank the Lord for someone who has gone before me that I can learn from and free myself up for the cookie baking, cuddling, bubble blowing times that were lacking last year.

Love this thread! I loved the ease of schedule and having all the books with an all in one. I have to admit though that HS'g has been a process for us and I tend to do very well in some areas and less well in others. For example, we have used SL for the last 4 years and (not SL's fault) I feel that I have not done well with LA. Oh yes, we did WW, Seq.Spell, Winston Grammar, dictation, dictation/narration, and some writing - but not enough. We added IEW this spring to work on this skill set. My dd (10th) will use MFW Ancients next year (still deciding on the 7th and 8th grade dd's) For moms like me who jumped into homeschooling with kids pulled from ps, all-in-ones can provide the comfort and safety needed to get started. Getting on these forums just a few short months ago has helped me so much. There is so much experience here. It has helped me to evaluate what is working, what isn't. Helps me to not throw in the towel when I don't live up to my own expectations :confused: as a wonder-mom, fabulous teacher! So many options to explore to find just what will work for you and your dc. Hmmmm, the other piece to these forums is that for those of us who thought they would use one curriculum all the way through may find themselves venturing out of their comfort zones.. You may find the courage to unleash your inner "tweaker" or worse, that you are a closet curriculum junkie!:D

I use what works for me. Some years I order full SL cores, some years I pick and choose. I don't follow the IG to a T--I use it as a "guide" and not as the task-master. We skip what we want to skip--most of the time I only use the 1-page guide at the front that says what order the books are used & what week they are introduced. I don't need the daily guide most of the time (and when books are mixed up in order, we often just read them in order anyway).

I too thought I'd like to see LA etc... woven in, but it just didn't work for us--so while I have used Sonlight or an eclectic mix for our "base," and I might occasionally make an LA assignment "tie in," I focus on things where my kids are at for LA, science, math etc...

I really like SL's lit. and reader selections, sometimes the history--so some years we use it all, some years just parts. Have fun!

Merry :-)

:iagree:

I agree with you completely. I do the same thing too.

The few we have tried are Calvert School and Oak Meadow. I loved that the planning was done but hated that the choices had all been made.

I am like you. I look and look and "ooh" and "aah" over Winter Promise and Sonlight. I love the books and the look of Winter Promise. I almost get persuaded by the persuasive advertising of Sonlight. ;)

But when I come back down to earth, I think two thoughts: In the first place, WOW, those programs are expensive! In the second place, WOW, I'll be paying big bucks for a reading list/schedule that I will not want to follow. I don't like being told on Day X to read Book Y, pages A through Z.

And isn't that what I would buy a package for? To be told what to do, so my brain could go on auto-pilot? There is a part of me that thinks this is so... anti-classical? Isn't it a bit hypocritical for the teacher to want her thinking done for her? I'm not judging, just sharing my (warped) though process. :blushing:

Sigh.

So it's back to planning again.

Then I start looking at the catalogs and websites..... Hmm, Tapestry looks good...

nm

Edited by CaladwenEleniel

Thank you! That hit a nerve for me too.

I looked for a program that used many of the resources I wanted to use anyways (or gave me the freedom to substitute within reason). I tend to schedule too much work when I piece it myself and there is a lot of redundancy between subjects. Also, I find that I don't really know how much to expect from my oldest. When I was looking through our HOD guide it was like a lightbulb went on. I love that they have taken the things I wanted to use and put them together in such an efficient way. I love that they teach me how to teach things like how to move dd toward independence and what a proper notebooking page looks like. I feel like I'm getting the wisdom of a seasoned educator built into my day and not just a package of books.

Edited by Robin's Song

I am not new to homeschooling and I agree with you completely. There have been years where a complete boxed curriculum was just what we needed to reach our goals, some years I used a completely eclectic collection of odds and ends that fit the bill ....some years I used ....gasp....no curriculum, but a math book and an outline of what I wanted to cover and did that with a library card.

There is no set answer to what will work for. Homeschooling family. As a matter of fact, what was wonderful one year, can very possibly bomb the next. What one child thrives on, can squelch the next.

I am thrilled that I finally decided to use a full curriculum for my kids next year. As a matter of fact, I chose two....one for my older dd and another for my 2 little boys. It is what will fit them this year....and the following? Well, I am planning on using a 3 rd program, but we shall see....

Faithe

I looked for a program that used many of the resources I wanted to use anyways (or gave me the freedom to substitute within reason). I tend to schedule too much work when I piece it myself and there is a lot of redundancy between subjects. Also' date=' I find that I don't really know how much to expect from my oldest. When I was looking through our HOD guide it was like a lightbulb went on. I love that they have taken the things I wanted to use and put them together in such an efficient way. I love that they teach me how to teach things like how to move dd toward independence and what a proper notebooking page looks like. I feel like I'm getting the wisdom of a seasoned educator built into my day and not just a package of books.[/quote']

I totally feel the same way. :001_wub: When will your year be starting?