Menu

Hard to read evals today

Hello!

I'm an occasional poster here. I homeschool my older DD's and hope to homeschool my son, Henry, who is 2 1/2 and has Down syndrome.

For now, my husband and I have chosen to see if he qualifies for a special ed preschool located in the elementary school right near our house. We have heard fabulous things about the teacher and program. The asst principal of the school has a son w/DS. We feel like this is the right place for Henry in the fall.

But to get there, he had to go through evaluations. And I got the paperwork to read today in prep for the eligibility meeting and IEP. Oh, my goodness. It is SO hard to read about your child in terms of numbers. And his evaluators were sweet, competent people. But to read that your child is in the single digits, percentile wise, is hard.

So, yes, I had a little pity party. Went to visit a friend, and while our kids played, we cried together. It isn't fair. Henry is so beautiful and wonderful. Numbers don't capture him.

But then I wiped away the tears. Trying to see the right thinking here. The low numbers may mean he gets MORE help. And no assessment can capture my lovely, hugging, blessed son. So I'm gearing up for a good meeting...but also hoping that people see my son for more than who he is.

Thanks for reading and letting me vent!

Blessings,

Gwen

Oh Gwen, I know how you're feeling. You're right that the low scores will help him qualify for extra services. That is the only purpose for those evaluations. When I get an evaluation back, I try to schedule a couple of days to cry and be depressed about it, because I know that it's something I have to work through to get back in my happy place again.

Your son is on his own timeline, but just keep focused on forward progress.

I know just how you feel. My 15dd's numbers, esp. are very low. That said, she is a very nice young lady who has come farther than anyone expected her to.

I homeschooled her for several years but I agree that if the preschool program is a good fit with a good teacher, it can be very beneficial. Right now my dd is in a full time special education room at the local middle school. Her teacher is WONDERFUL. She has a 12 year old son with mild autism so she really gets special needs kids.

I remember that, it was hard to see it in cold hard words what I thought I knew. It made me wish that they could see all the wonderful things my child could do not just the stuff that got her referred to Special Education. :hugs: Just remember that this is just a piece of your son's puzzle and the one that will get him help but that it is not the complete puzzle and you know all the other amazing pieces that will fit together to make him so special.

I feel your pain. My ds scored very low in some areas, and it's really hard to look at those numbers. It hurts to know our kids have such challenges to face. But you're right, it will help get him the services he needs. And those numbers don't measure sweetness of character. Who are children are is so much more than what they are able to do.

Thank you all so much for your comments and support.

Today is a better day. We had Henry's eligibility meeting, and the same people who wrote those tough-to-read assessments just gushed about how cute he is, how well he is doing, and how they want to help him get the right support to do well in preschool, etc.

Yes, it is SO hard to see the black and white. But those low numbers helped get him the help he needs.

Thanks for sharing and caring!

Blessings,

Gwen

It is SO hard to get evals. . . everytime we do, my heart tears and there is a grieving/coping process. Especially when the numbers are VERY low :grouphug:

One thing that I have learned is that no one can truly be put in a box. I recently compared my S/N guy to a beautiful/fragile exotic flower. He needs A LOT more care and effort but he really enriches our lives beyond measure.