Menu

singapore essentials into 1A

Well, I don't know for sure, but with ds I did EB 2A/2B into Primary 1A and am now doing Essentials with dd, planning on going into 1A. From my experience so far, I expect it to go very smoothly. It went smoothly with ds as well, I just wanted more pages for my dd to work through...Anyone else? :D

I think it would be. I can't say definitively because my ds5 was only 4 when we finished EM and I didn't think he was mature enough to start 1A (as PM moves so fast). Instead, we're taking a few months to work through Horizons K first. I wouldn't have had any trouble putting my very-mathy oldest right into 1A but didn't know about EM back then.

Maybe this bump will get you some answers.

I think it would be. I can't say definitively because my ds5 was only 4 when we finished EM and I didn't think he was mature enough to start 1A (as PM moves so fast). Instead, we're taking a few months to work through Horizons K first. I wouldn't have had any trouble putting my very-mathy oldest right into 1A but didn't know about EM back then.

This is actually what I am worried about. I have no idea how to tell if she will be mature enough for 1A, but I figured if the first lesson in 1A is more or less logically the next lesson after EM, then it should be fine, at least until she hits a wall. I think I just need to order 1A so I can see what it covers and how.

If so many people haven't had a knowledge gap between EM and 1A, I think we'll just go for it. If it goes too quickly, we'll slow down or put it aside at that point.

Thanks!

Well we did earlybird rather than EM and DD went straight into 1B so assuming EM is similar (I've heard it's better) I'm sure it will be fine.

Oh wow! I had chosen NOTHING over EB, because of the reviews. I am very pleased with EM. If you had such good luck with even EB, I won't worry. :001_smile:

This is actually what I am worried about. I have no idea how to tell if she will be mature enough for 1A, but I figured if the first lesson in 1A is more or less logically the next lesson after EM, then it should be fine, at least until she hits a wall. I think I just need to order 1A so I can see what it covers and how.

If so many people haven't had a knowledge gap between EM and 1A, I think we'll just go for it. If it goes too quickly, we'll slow down or put it aside at that point.

Thanks!

1A should be pretty easy for her. 1B and 2A move VERY quickly IMHO. I wouldn't worry, just take breaks as needed.

My thing with primary math 1A is that it does require some sophisticated number manipulation skills. I am not comfortable pushing that too early--first grade (age 6) for 1A has been a good fit here. So when people have completed K books early, I have advised doing something else before 1A if the child is not in first grade yet. Obviously some kids can handle it early, but K is probably too early for most.

The skills that I call sophisticated have to do with being able to hold numbers in your head and complete 10s (and know what is left over). So a child adding 27+8 will be asked to complete a 10. She needs to know what to add to 7 to get to 10 (3). She will then look at the 8 and mentally break it into number bonds--if 3 is one of the numbers, what is the other that I would add to 3 to get 8? When she sees that 5, she has done the hard work but still needs to put it together--the 3 completed the 10 and got me up to 30, the 5 is left over and still needs to be added to 30, so the answer is 35. You want this to be a skill they can do quickly. When they know their number bonds well, this takes just a second or two. It's a very powerful mental addition method that will serve them well, but I wouldn't want to tackle it too young. If it causes too much frustration, it would be better to just wait for a little more development.

1A should be pretty easy for her. 1B and 2A move VERY quickly IMHO. I wouldn't worry, just take breaks as needed.

See, and I thought even 1A (Standards Edition) moved too quickly for us (and ds was 6.5)! The first couple of lessons were too easy, but then by Lesson 10 it was already making conceptual leaps that were too hard. Ugh, Singapore was just not a good fit for us, but many people have the opposite experience and love it!

Thanks!

My ds was 5 when we finished EB 2B, and we just started right away with PM 1A, but only doing 1 page of a lesson, or less if it happened to have many exercises on that page. He's 6.5 now, almost done with 1B, and we do at least a page, sometimes 2 pages, depending on the amount of exercises. I've been trying not to surpass his maturity level, and he loves doing his math, so it's been working great for us.

The skills that I call sophisticated have to do with being able to hold numbers in your head and complete 10s (and know what is left over). So a child adding 27+8 will be asked to complete a 10. She needs to know what to add to 7 to get to 10 (3). She will then look at the 8 and mentally break it into number bonds--if 3 is one of the numbers, what is the other that I would add to 3 to get 8? When she sees that 5, she has done the hard work but still needs to put it together--the 3 completed the 10 and got me up to 30, the 5 is left over and still needs to be added to 30, so the answer is 35. You want this to be a skill they can do quickly. When they know their number bonds well, this takes just a second or two. It's a very powerful mental addition method that will serve them well, but I wouldn't want to tackle it too young. If it causes too much frustration, it would be better to just wait for a little more development.

We will see how this goes. :lol: I am just a huge planner, but there ultimately isn't any way to know for sure if it will work without trying it. If we try it and it doesn't work, that's not a problem. I just like to know that it's dd's readiness, and not EM's fault.