Menu

Pad Thai recipe? or rec Thai cookbook?

I haven't used this book, but Sri Owen is a terrific cookbook writer and I've been very pleased with two of her other books:

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Thai-Cooking-Sri-Owen/dp/0711216118/ref=pd_sim_b_12

And anything by this guy is very authentic. You might need to do some special ingredient hunt, but he is the "real McCoy":

http://www.amazon.com/Vatchs-Thai-Street-Vatcharin-Bhumichitr/dp/1904920578/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307455520&sr=1-15

this book would really help with what you are looking for....it has really made me feel more confident when making things like pad thai :)

Oh, my stars! This book is for me. I hate reading recipes, but the only way I've gotten by is with several that I've made over and over again, then variations of them. I'm always getting stuck in a cooking rut w/the same ol, same ol. Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to look into this one!

Here are a couple from DrMcDougall.com. I usually make the first one, but the second one looks delicious, too.

THAI NOODLES

This is a wonderful meal for hot summer nights because it requires minimal cooking and it may be made completely ahead of time and served cold or at room temperature. It also keeps well in a cooler so it is a great picnic food.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 4

12-14 ounces linguini (broken in half)

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup natural peanut butter, creamy

1/4 cup soy sauce

3 tablespoons rice vinegar

1-2 teaspoons chili-garlic sauce (see hints)

¼ teaspoon sesame oil (optional-see hints)

3 tablespoons vegetable broth

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

1 ½ cups mung bean sprouts

1 ½ cups shredded carrots

7 ounces baked seasoned tofu, thinly sliced

chopped cilantro

chopped peanuts (optional)

Prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine the honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili-garlic sauce and the sesame oil in a mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Set aside. Place the broth in a non-stick frying pan with the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook, stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes. Add the sauce, mix well and heat through. Pour over the noodles and toss well to mix. Add the bean sprouts, carrots and tofu and toss again to mix. Serve warm or at room temperature. Let each person add chopped cilantro and/or chopped peanuts, if desired.

Hints: Rice vinegar and chili garlic sauce may be found in most supermarkets in the oriental section. One brand of chili-garlic sauce is made by Huy Fong Foods. It is quite spicy, so you may need to adjust the amount used according to your tastes. I use a small amount of sesame oil in this recipe for the unique taste it adds to foods. It may be omitted, if desired. This dish keeps well in the refrigerator and may also be served cold. This is great to fix on those busy evenings when everyone is eating at different times because it tastes best at room temperature.

Thai Noodle Stir-up

By Heather McDougall

My daughter, Heather, and I like to experiment in the kitchen. She has become very creative and we have lots of fun working on new recipes together. This recipe is one that we really liked and we hope that you will like it too.

Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Cooking Time: 10 minutes

Servings: 4

7 ounces uncooked rice noodles

¼ cup vegetable broth

1 teaspoon minced garlic

1 cup broccoli florets

2 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms

½ cup chopped red bell pepper

4 green onions, sliced in 1 inch pieces

6 oyster mushrooms, sliced (optional)

12 ounces smoked, baked tofu, sliced

Sauce:

6 tablespoons soy sauce

6 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons lime juice (2 limes)

2 tablespoons rice vinegar

1 to 2 teaspoons red chili sauce

Optional garnishes: Chopped cilantro, chopped peanuts, lime wedges, hot sauce.

Soften rice noodles in boiling water according to package directions, drain, and set aside.

Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.

Place the vegetable broth and garlic in a large non-stick frying pan or wok. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli, button mushrooms, bell pepper and green onions. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add oyster mushrooms and tofu and continue to cook for another minute. Add noodles and sauce. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes, until vegetables are at desired tenderness. Serve hot.

Hint: Various hot sauces (red chili sauce) are sold in most supermarkets in the ethnic section. Some are very hot. Use as much or as little as you like. Serve the optional garnishes in small bowls and let each person add them to their noodles as desired. Rice noodles are sold in most natural food stores and some supermarkets in the Asian food section. They do not need to be cooked, just soak them in boiling water, usually between 5-8 minutes. Drain, add cold water and ice cubes, let soak for a minute or two, then drain and set aside.

Thank you for sharing the Pad Thai recipe - looks yummy! and especially thank you for including one of your own!!! I'm inspired to try both :D

from pioneer woman

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/special-dietary-needs/vegetarian/vegetarian-pad-thai/ (vegetarian recipe)

Or the non vegetarian

mmmmmmmm

Thank you! I'll look into these as well!

I haven't used this book, but Sri Owen is a terrific cookbook writer and I've been very pleased with two of her other books:

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Thai-Cooking-Sri-Owen/dp/0711216118/ref=pd_sim_b_12

And anything by this guy is very authentic. You might need to do some special ingredient hunt, but he is the "real McCoy":

http://www.amazon.com/Vatchs-Thai-Street-Vatcharin-Bhumichitr/dp/1904920578/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1307455520&sr=1-15

THank you. I pretty much feel the cookbooks on my shelf are 'outdated'!