Menu

We ordered our kitchen cabinets today!

It seems we're really going ahead with the kitchen remodel we've been planning for YEARS.

Just wanted to share. I know others here are doing a kitchen remodel also.

We will have a shaker door style in hickory. They will take about two months as we hired a cabinetmaker and tomorrow he orders the materials.

The floor plan will be pretty close to this (We will not have quite so many drawers, pantry will be symmetrical, the island will not have the narrow base cabs on the backside, and they will not be from IKEA.):

042710_1312_planborc1.png?w=600

Oh, and this is the door style. I need to pick hardware to go with this.

Rustic black metal maybe? I haven't even thought of hardware.

1900Hickory400x820.jpg

Edited by darlasowders

How exciting for you! I remember when you posted about this a while back - it looks like you have a great plan.

Thanks! I sure hope so. We met with the cabinet maker today, and after a bit of measuring and looking around (living room over here, dining area here, 4 kids, two dogs...) he came with with pretty much exactly what I drew up a year ago. Many of his measurements were within 1/2" or so of mine (I figured on about 38" pantry, he came up with 38.5".)

I'm really excited. It was cool talking to someone who has been building cabinets for a while who seems enthusiastic about the project.

Now to pick out flooring, hardware, lighting, a sink, faucet...

:D

We're getting our new cabinets at the end of June! Our kitchen is nowhere near as big as yours, though....I am living vicariously through your design, imagining all those wonderful cabinets!!!

What are you doing for your counter and floor? Rustic black metal sounds great!

Regarding hardware, what style are your light fixtures? You may want to have them similar in style. I think brushed nickel would look good with the light cabinets too.

Light fixtures? Ack! Guess I better plan a trip to Home Depot soon...

I seem to remember a lighting store in a nearby town as well.

Around the perimeter, I plan on using recessed halogen lighting. Over the island, pendant lights of some kind.

Will need to talk to an electrician asap as some things will need to be moved.

I love brushed nickel as well. I was planning on this faucet (or similar). I'll probably just go with that for everything.

41iKx4QRuzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg