Menu

Listening to sound of musical instruments?

Staceyshoe

You could always check out Benjamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, which is a very well-known piece and seems to be available on Youtube, for instance. Carnegie Hall has even based a flash game on it, apparently. I have no idea if that would be helpful or not, actually.

This little flash game is fun, though. It lets you take away particular instruments and add them back. There are four styles of songs, presumably with the appropriate instrument groups.

Edited by morosophe

We have this: http://www.amazon.com/Orchestra-Mark-Rubin/dp/0920668992

Ours came with a CD, but I don't know if the amazon one does. I don't remember if it is individual instruments, or just groups.

There is classicsforkids.com. No individual instruments, I don't think.

Peter and the Wolf has some individual instruments, but you will have to tell them which ones they are. And Young People's Guide to the Orchestra has them in groups: brass, woodwinds, etc.

You have also gotten a copy of Peter and the Wolf? A version that introduces the instruments one by one before launching into the story? And then finishes with just the music without the story?

It's fun to hear it all come together in context :)

Jen