Menu

storing bulk flour and sugar?

We really need to cut our food budget. I am trying to bake more and cook from scratch more in order to do this. I would like to buy flour, sugar, and powdered sugar from Sam's Club in bulk, 25# seems to be the norm for size. What will be the best way to store this amount of dry goods? For now I have a very large deep freeze, is that an option? Does that effect any recipes? Longer term what are other options if I am able to purchase large portions of meat and the freezer is out of room? :)

I have several very large Tupperware containers that I store sugar and flour in my pantry. I don't buy more sugar than will fit in that container, but I do buy bread flour in larger bags. What doesn't fit in the container, I leave in the bag and put in the freezer. Occaionally I have run out of flour mid recipe and end up using the flour directly out of the freezer..it needs more time to raise then, but I never have had it not perform otherwise.

The 5 gallon buckets are good. You just have to make sure that they are food grade. If you can't get them for free, you can order them from places like http://beprepared.com.

I also have a large family, and we can go through the 25# bags fast enough that I just leave them in the pantry in their original bags. We are pretty dry here though, so that may make a difference in storage life.

Freezing won't affect the quality of the food. If you are using whole wheat, it may make it last longer, but the white flour and sugar should be the same either way.

I store mine in 5 gallon buckets that I buy from my food co-op. You can go to SAMS, COSTCO, Wal-mart bakery etc and ask for the buckets. They usually give them away free.

:iagree: I also have the twist off lids for them. (sorry I can't remember what they are called right now. :tongue_smilie:)

We really need to cut our food budget. I am trying to bake more and cook from scratch more in order to do this. I would like to buy flour, sugar, and powdered sugar from Sam's Club in bulk, 25# seems to be the norm for size. What will be the best way to store this amount of dry goods? For now I have a very large deep freeze, is that an option? Does that effect any recipes? Longer term what are other options if I am able to purchase large portions of meat and the freezer is out of room? :)

Check prices before you buy in bulk! It isn't always cheaper. I stock up on baking supplies like flour and sugar at the holidays when stores usually sell these things at very low prices to attract customers into their stores.

Check prices before you buy in bulk! It isn't always cheaper. I stock up on baking supplies like flour and sugar at the holidays when stores usually sell these things at very low prices to attract customers into their stores.

This is definately the case! I always compare, even with a large family it doesn't always pay to buy in bulk. :)

The buckets and twist lids are great. Google Gamma lids.

For longer term storage you want to look into wheat berries instead of flour. It stays fresher and more nutritious when not bought preground. It does mean finding a source other than Sams or Walmart but the taste is worth it. You would want a mill as well but the berries are cheap!

The biggest things to stay away from are moisture and bugs.

The buckets and twist lids are great. Google Gamma lids.

For longer term storage you want to look into wheat berries instead of flour. It stays fresher and more nutritious when not bought preground. It does mean finding a source other than Sams or Walmart but the taste is worth it. You would want a mill as well but the berries are cheap!

The biggest things to stay away from are moisture and bugs.

I would love to eventually get to this in the future, but I have to take baby steps, starting with cooking from scratch more so I will need more. ;)