Menu

Your Top 10 Vintage Book Picks?

SnMomof7

I'm curious to hear what your top vintage read alouds are.

My children LOVE anything Uncle Wiggly (Gutenberg), American Twins of the Revolution, Among the Farmyard People, and we haven't done many more yet (from the free/affordable digital books I own)!

I own the Yesterday's Classic's collection though, so I have lots to pick from! I'm wondering what your favorites are from YC or Gutenberg that I could read to my DC from my Sony E-Reader :). Help me narrow it down so I know what to start next!

My children are really enjoying 50 Famous Stories (they always ask for MORE and MORE when we read it) so I'll definitely try his Robinson Crusoe! We have the original here, and I've tried it a couple of times but it is a bit dry in the beginning for them :).

Well, I won't pay extra for older books if that is what you are wondering :). I often find them online for fairly cheap or free :).

Me neither - I've loaded so many free books onto my Kindles that will keep my kids reading for a long time. Someone else posted this link on another thread:

http://www.manybooks.net/categories/CHI

Many of these are also available at Amazon for free, too - so if you have a Kindle, it's easier to just get them there, but I haven't compared the formatting between the two.

Here are some from Yesterday's Classics that my girls really liked:

Children of the New Forest (Older dd loved this book!)

Viking Tales

50 Famous Stories

Among the ....People series (Younger dd loves these!)

In the Days of Queen Elizabeth

Seed Babies

Little Wanderers

The Heroes by Charles Kingsley (My younger dd will read this next year, and my older dd has read it and liked it.)

For the Children's Hour

English Literature for Boys and Girls (We're still reading this one, but my older dd really loves it.)

Tales from Shakespeare

The Burgess Bird Book for Children

The Burgess Animal Book for Children

-Dick and Jane:001_wub: Both of my girls learned to read with these (and a handful of reader books from the 30's, 40's, and 50's)

-Milly Molly Mandy

-Betsy Tacy series

-Baby Island

-Paddington

-Understood Betsy

-Twig

-Half Magic series

-Raggedy Ann and Andy

-Wind in the Willows

-Homer Price

-Beatrix Potter collection

I've been collecting a few classic lit sets this year (vintage). I'm excited for the girls to fall in love with these slightly older titles.

I sadly started a Burgess set too late. They're too old for them. :sad:

Maybe I should add them to our summer reading basket?? Maybe I'll have them read 2 at a time to earn a reading prize? Is it wrong to basically bribe them to read the series?

Homer Price is awesome :). My girls have loved this too. Nah, bribery isn't wrong in the name of education ;).

Yeah, my girls both had big smiles on their faces while reading it. It makes me happy just thinking about it.

Okay, I just added Old Man Coyote and Johnny Chuck to the stack of summer reading choices! (I change them out every few weeks) :tongue_smilie:

So far, The Happy Hollisters, Among the ...People, the Thornton Burgess stories like The Story of Peter Cottontail, Beatrix Potter, the colored fairy books (like The Red Fairy Book, etc), Raggedy Ann, The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook, the Brer Rabbit books.

Well, I won't pay extra for older books if that is what you are wondering :). I often find them online for fairly cheap or free :).

Thanks that is what I was wondering.

I do have a set that I know is worth more, BUT ds has laid claim to them SO he can have them for his kids

- Maybe I'll have them read 2 at a time to earn a reading prize? Is it wrong to basically bribe them to read the series?

Nothing wrong with that. I don't call it a bribery. I call it a "stimulus". I did "purchase "stuff" for learning points" with my daughter when she was 6-7 years old. I am going to do the same thing with my son, who is 4 and not always wants to study:(