Menu

Anyone here purposely wait to start AAS (boy,thinking of waiting untilfourth grade)?

I wouldn't wait that long for AAS. AAS is very gentle and slow paced in the beginning. I plan to use it for K with my 2nd son. It's that gentle.

:iagree: We started it in Pre-K/K here.

Are you finding that your dc are retaining what they are learning? Are you using it with boys? I'll check your siggies after posting, lol. He did express some annoyance recentlyish about not knowing how to spell and having to ask me, though I do help him by reminding him of spelling rules that we've learned from PP. Okay, so, I just asked him if he'd like to start spelling lessons and he said yes, so I guess that's my answer, lol. Hmm, now should I teach my soon to be second grader alongside him. :confused: He does seem to retain better than ds1, but his writing (fine motor) is really bad. What say the hive? :bigear:

AAS is perfect for kids with fine motor issues, as you can use the tiles, write on the white board, etc.

Yes, I'm doing this with boys. I have 3 boys. No girls in sight. :tongue_smilie: And my oldest is writing phobic, typical delayed writing boy. His writing has improved a LOT in part because of using AAS, since we write dictation sentences on the white board everyday, and he's getting more confidence in spelling. :)

He is retaining a lot and applying what he is learning to words outside the program. Very cool to see. Now that type of thing isn't typically expected of kids until closer to age 9, I guess, but it's happening here now.

I would definitely start the second grader as well. We do all the writing on the white board, since that's easier (fine motor skill wise).

I think AAS is a great program for boys! I started my ds on level 1 at the beginning of 2nd grade. We went through all of 1 and most of 2 this past year, and he has retained most of it really well. Spelling is not my sons strong suit at all, and I think AAS has really helped. I reenforce it by putting his AAS spelling lists into Big IQ Kids, so he can practice them after we learn them with AAS. You can also do that with Spelling City. I lan to start my dd with level 1 for 1st grade.

I would start now. You can take it as slow as you want. The first step will be learning phonograms, so I would get started on that.

HTH,

Joy

Thanks!

AAS is perfect for kids with fine motor issues, as you can use the tiles, write on the white board, etc.

Yes, I'm doing this with boys. I have 3 boys. No girls in sight. :tongue_smilie: And my oldest is writing phobic, typical delayed writing boy. His writing has improved a LOT in part because of using AAS, since we write dictation sentences on the white board everyday, and he's getting more confidence in spelling. :)

He is retaining a lot and applying what he is learning to words outside the program. Very cool to see. Now that type of thing isn't typically expected of kids until closer to age 9, I guess, but it's happening here now.

I would definitely start the second grader as well. We do all the writing on the white board, since that's easier (fine motor skill wise).

Okay, I had not heard about 9 years being developmentally around when that switch from schoolwork to real life takes place. Would you happen to have a link or two so that I could read more about it. I do tend to take a delayed academics/developmental approach to hsing, so we are more gentle in the first part of the elementary years, but things will become more rigorous after then and we should be nicely up to par by 7th.

I think AAS is a great program for boys! I started my ds on level 1 at the beginning of 2nd grade. We went through all of 1 and most of 2 this past year, and he has retained most of it really well. Spelling is not my sons strong suit at all, and I think AAS has really helped. I reenforce it by putting his AAS spelling lists into Big IQ Kids, so he can practice them after we learn them with AAS. You can also do that with Spelling City. I lan to start my dd with level 1 for 1st grade.

Oh, great idea to use SC! I love it. Thanks! I will have to look into BIQK as this is the first time I've heard of it.

I started AAS with DS8 (3rd grade) earlier this year. We started slowly, but are now moving very quickly through it. He is retaining well and is not resistant to it at all.

I cannot think of any reason not to start. HTH

B/c spelling and phonics are so heavily related to each other and also to reading and vocabulary, I would not wait. It's nice to have the multi-subject reinforcement.

Good point. After talking with ds today, I do feel that he is ready and wanting.

I started AAS with DS8 (3rd grade) earlier this year. We started slowly, but are now moving very quickly through it. He is retaining well and is not resistant to it at all.

I cannot think of any reason not to start. HTH

Really, I can't either. My main concern was over retention, but I've heard such great things from you all and I really do want to start!

Okay, I had not heard about 9 years being developmentally around when that switch from schoolwork to real life takes place. Would you happen to have a link or two so that I could read more about it.

Sorry, I don't know of any articles or anything. I heard it mentioned by SWB in her writing lecture (the elementary years, IIRC), and I've seen many folks here say it happened that way for their kids. Basically, they learned the spelling in the grammar stage and were able to spell well during spelling time, but the skill didn't integrate with the other skills until logic stage, which makes sense, as that's also when all the other writing skills are supposed to come together well. So I basically use the grammar stage to teach skills individually, and then the logic stage is where those skills would come together. Of course, I'm not there yet. ;)

Just wanted to pipe in and say the invisible, non-audible bell does ring around 9 years old! I've seen it every time. It's actually got my head in spin-mode right now. My 9yo is ready to move forward, while his partner in crime, an immature 8yo is not. The scenario is making me rethink some plans for next year. I need to get the mature one moving and I can't go forth as much as I'd like in my "family learning" plans! You'll see it, though for sure. I have with all 4dc before him! All of a sudden a pinch of maturity rears its head and you shout for joy! Just remember, the progression is s l o w Don't dive in at first sight....stick your toes in the water and ease into the next river!

(Sorry, for some reason I love analogies).