Menu

Galore Park's Skoldo-French-any reviews?

Jen500

I have got both Nallenart and Skoldo, first level of each for my boys, although we have not used them yet.

The Elementary Skoldo is much more colourful (which is actually something my two hate (age 7 and 5). It has a cd with words and songs, most pages are matching french words to pictures and the songs written out in full.

Books 1 and 2 are still quite colourful but there are less songs. There is again a cd (although we won't use this as I speak fluent French). Book 3 has no colour and no CD and I find the pages quite crammed with various different grammar topics. There is not the repetition element that I find appealing with Nallenart level 1.

We only have the first level of L'art de Lire so cannot really compare with later levels.

Only recently has Galore Park started to advertise Skoldo on its website, before you could buy from amazon or from Skoldo themselves (and you still can). I think they are hoping they will give people a "taster" of French before moving onto their own Galore Park French books.

On the plus of Skoldo they are cheap for foreign language workbooks, and I do think they are good value for money.

Hope that helps abit.

Sarah (very new to the hive and not done a signature yet!)

We've been using skoldo since last year, its a bit dull though, not really caught our imagination but my dd has learnt a fair bit. I am looking for other options.

Which book are you using? Could you elaborate on what you thought was dull? (Have you looked at Alex et Zoe? I wonder how it compares)

My dd7 uses this series and really enjoys it. It does cover quite a bit of material quickly. Book 1 goes back over what was learned in the elementary book with a bit more depth which has been nice. It works great as a quick second foreign language, as Latin is our focus. And she has retained the information well.

Yes, the yellow book which is titled Elementary is to go before book 1, its very simple, just words, mainly colours, numbers and lots of songs with a cd (which I have not listened to). I bought mine before the publisher partnered with Galore Park, and I think they updated them slightly. Just checked on the site, mine are what they call now Old Format, not sure what is new is in the new format except a larger price tag !

We are using the elementary books. Its hard to say why its dull, it just seems doesn't grab us. For example, we also do Song School Latin and are really enjoying it and are driven to do the next section but Skoldo just lacks something that does that. I was going to get my sister who speaks fluent French, to go through it an suggest ways of making it more interesting.

Sorry never heard of Alex et Zoe.

Sorry that is not very helpful really.

Edited by lailasmum

I guess ours must be old format as they are pre-galore park I think. We've had them a while. Its possible that what I don't like is that the elementary level is just too simplistic, lots of matching and colouring. Not much to it.

Edited by lailasmum

I guess ours must be old format as they are pre-galore park I think. We've had them a while. Its possible that what I don't like is that the elementary level is just too simplistic, lots of matching and colouring. Not much to it.

I wonder how the old format differs from the new ones. Doesn't the teacher's book have activities and worksheets/puzzles? Did your version come w/ a teacher's book?

There is a students book and a teachers handbook in the version we have and the CDs. The Teacher's book has more activities that could be photocopied but still a lot of colour it in-match it up stuff. There is the odd crossword and sort of maths with pictures thing.

Edited by lailasmum

There is a students book and a teachers handbook in the version we have and the CDs. The Teacher's book has more activities that could be photocopied but still a lot of colour it in-match it up stuff. There is the odd crossword and sort of maths with pictures thing.

I wonder if it is similar to the Skoldo interactive cd-rom. I didn't like the demo.

(And thanks everyone for your input)

Is Skoldo Book 1 grammar-focused? I can't teach using immersion-type books, especially since I don't speak French.

It looks like a mix. ?? Maybe one of the pp can answer. I wish there were samples of the teacher's guide.

Just looking at the student book samples, Skoldo doesn't neatly transition to SYRWTLF. There would be a lot of review.

My 8-yr-old likes the work book allright. Since I couldn't find the teacher's or the CD on Amazon and didn't want to pay for the international shipping, we just watch Muzzy French and use the workbook as her writing exercise. It's fine since our main focus in Mandarin and will add Latin for her 3rd grade.

But I still would like to have the teacher's book CD eventually.

On another thread, some people recommended two book ordering websites where you can save the shipping cost. One of them is

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk

My 8-yr-old likes the work book allright. Since I couldn't find the teacher's or the CD on Amazon and didn't want to pay for the international shipping, we just watch Muzzy French and use the workbook as her writing exercise. It's fine since our main focus in Mandarin and will add Latin for her 3rd grade.

But I still would like to have the teacher's book CD eventually.

On another thread, some people recommended two book ordering websites where you can save the shipping cost. One of them is

www.bookdepository.co.uk

There's a 10% sale at bookdepository.com which ends today, so I may order Skoldo. But is the teacher's manual necessary? The answers are apparently on the back of the student workbook and it comes with a CD.

I just downloaded Nallenart D'art Lire Level 1 and I think it will work for us, but I would like to add something else as well, like Skoldo. I think my plan will be to finish all the levels of Lire and then move on to SYRWTLF.

There's a 10% sale at bookdepository.com which ends today, so I may order Skoldo. But is the teacher's manual necessary? The answers are apparently on the back of the student workbook and it comes with a CD.

I just downloaded Nallenart D'art Lire Level 1 and I think it will work for us, but I would like to add something else as well, like Skoldo. I think my plan will be to finish all the levels of Lire and then move on to SYRWTLF.

Hi Crazy for Latin, thanks. I didn't even notice their banner of 10% discount! I just ordered the Skoldo teacher book 1, since the interactive CD-R for multi-user is not available. The description for SKoldo is much clear in the Galore Park's website than bookdepository.com

The following the the description from Galore Park:

"his interactive CD ROM is ideal for use alongside the Skoldo Elementary Book and Skoldo Primary Book One and is a fun way of reinforcing the vocabulary learned in these books. The CD ROM features drag and drop exercises, interactive word searches and a huge range of activities so that children learn French whilst having fun. There are fifteen French songs featured on the CD ROM with the French lyrics which can be sung along to in a karaoke style. There is also a British Sign Language option for each word which can be turned on and off as needed.*

Try the FREE demo below.

It's interesting to see some similar stuff we do in your siggy.:lol:

Hi Crazy for Latin, thanks. I didn't even notice their banner of 10% discount! I just ordered the Skoldo teacher book 1, since the interactive CD-R for multi-user is not available. The description for SKoldo is much clear in the Galore Park's website than bookdepository.com

The following the the description from Galore Park:

"his interactive CD ROM is ideal for use alongside the Skoldo Elementary Book and Skoldo Primary Book One and is a fun way of reinforcing the vocabulary learned in these books. The CD ROM features drag and drop exercises, interactive word searches and a huge range of activities so that children learn French whilst having fun. There are fifteen French songs featured on the CD ROM with the French lyrics which can be sung along to in a karaoke style. There is also a British Sign Language option for each word which can be turned on and off as needed.*

Try the FREE demo below.

It's interesting to see some similar stuff we do in your siggy.:lol:

Hmm, I'm not seeing the teacher's edition on bookdepository.com. I wasn't planning to order it but still would kind of like to know why I can't find it. Did you order the teacher's manual from this site just this evening?