Menu

Does anyone teach their kids to write with a feather pen in America?

I don't know if there is a separate curriculum - in Germany it is simply taught in schools, and of course there is no homeschooling. They even make simple feather pens for kids like these http://besten.welt.de/files/imagecache/detail/base_kid_lernfüller.jpg

If I remember correctly, we began in the second grade, so right around the time that many here do cursive. Should I just combine the use of the new pen with cursive instruction, or do you think something separate is needed?

We call these "fountain pens." :) I don't know of any American schools that teach students to use them unless it's in art class for calligraphy. They're not something most people, adults or children, use here, although some people do collect them. I did a teaching internship in Germany years ago, and I loved that every child used fountain pens.

Guest Dulcimeramy

My sons love calligraphy and have made their own feather pens, wooden pens and inks. They also use my husband's pens, pen holders, and nibs. (He was a graphic artist 25 years ago)

We don't use any of these for schoolwork, though, and I've never heard of an American school using them.

I am pretty sure Thomas Jefferson used one, but that has been awhile! :lol: I was actually thinking about Germany the other day. All of my German friends have such lovely handwriting (and it is really similar person to person). I was wondering how I could get that to happen with my kids. Maybe this is why!

There was a thread quite a while back about using them to teach writing - we tried it and liked the results. There was a cursive curriculum mentioned that uses that kind of pen. I will see if I can find it. - Nope, can't find the thread, but if you type in fountain+pen in the search you will find the threads that have discussed the nuts and bolts of this over the last couple of years, including good recommendations for pens and paper.

Edited by jcooperetc

I switched my K-er over to one a few months ago. He's only doing printing, but I read on a thread here about how it helps with hand position and some other tricky aspects of writing. I tried it on him with my own fountain pen and he made immediate strides. Since then I got him a Lamy ABC. Our experience with it has been very, very good. His writing, and his attitude towards writing has radically improved; he really thinks of it as a craft now.

I didn't do much in the way of separate instruction. I showed him how to hold it, but both my pen and his have a shaped grip which makes that very clear. I showed him that, when he pushes down too hard or holds the nib at the wrong angle, the ink is either blotchy or not there at all. I think that's about it.

So it sounds like 2nd grade / whenever cursive is introduced is the way to go. That was definitely how we did it in school, too. Cool. I looked at the Lamy ABC last summer when we were in Germany but it seemed extremely early (my son was 2 then), and I figured we'd get back before he needs it. ;)

Yes we use fountain pens.

A really cheap (and not half-bad) pen to get if you want to see if you like fountain pens is a Pilot Varsity (called a V pen in some parts of the world IMS).

The Varsity pens are disposal and cost about $3.

Bill

Yes, in Germany they use fountain pens in the lower grades. I wish I'd started with those - I think it would have avoided some grip problems one of my dds has - the pens literally won't write unless they're held at the proper angle. I bought pens for my dds when we went to Germany when they were 8, but the bad grip habit was already entrenched. :glare:

He he... and yes, the term here is "fountain" pen - a feather pen here would be a feather from a bird cut to a point. :) My kids have written with those quite a bit too - we've bought them in various living history museums and then they figured out how to make their own from our guinea hen's feathers. They've used them quite a lot, first to play "Felicity" from colonial times, and later to play "Harry Potter" (he uses a quill too). But I wouldn't recommend them for neat handwriting - between the dipping and blotting with the ink, and the feathers giving out quickly with use, they don't lend themselves to neat lettering. :tongue_smilie: