Menu

Favorite Books for Little Children

Sooooooo....Digby's birthday is coming up next week and we've totally forgotten about it until now. I am so sick of toys, they don't need anymore toys, so I thought we could get him a book. He loves being read to and he loves looking at them by himself. He is very good at not ripping pages, so they don't have to be cardboard. So what are your favorite books for little children? I've been looking at the lists on Sonlight's website, anything really good on that?

:bigear:

I love any book listed on the Ambleside site for "year 0". Another list to look at is in the book Honey for a Child's Heart.

I have those lists. Anything in particular on them that stands out as a favorite of yours? Anything super amazing that you just couldn't live without?

We like Lois Lenski's Papa Small and Policeman Small books (there are others, but these are our faves.)

Also a favorite with my ds who is now 3 were Helen Oxenbury's We're Going On A Bear Hunt, and the Tom and Pippo books, which are now, sadly, OOP.

He also really likes Where the Wild Things Are, Silly Sally, Sheep In A Jeep, A Snowy Day, Whistle for Willie, Frog and Toad books, and No Fighting, No Biting.

I have found that once my dc could really listen to a whole story, that I-can-read books were excellent. (You can read only one "chapter" of them at a time, too.) The language is simple, but the stories are usually fun and funny. DS really loves Frog and Toad. :D

HTH!

I'm not sure what books you already have, especially since you have an older child...but here's a few things I'd recommend.

Something with Curious George

Go Away Big Green Monster! (all 3 of my kids have loved this)

The Wheels on the Bus (you'll have to be careful, this one has moving parts, but is soo fun! You just have to sing along with it. ;) We are on our 2nd copy, we love it that much)

Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo (great bedtime story)

I Stink! (awesome garbage truck book, several others by this author were faves here, too)

Hope this helps. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, or all of them! :001_smile: Enjoy the birthday with your little man. :grouphug: