Menu

Spin-off from Plaid Dad's food storage question: WHY??

What people affected by Katrina needed was more like the emergency 72-hour kit that is often considered part of food storage. It's supposed to be 3 days' worth of food, water purification tablets, a little radio, that sort of thing all collected in a backpack you can grab and take with you in an emergency. That way, if you're sitting on the roof of your house waiting to be rescued, at least you have a bit of food and so on to keep you going.

True. And I worded my post badly too. Someone commented that their dad worked for FEMA and suggested a family shouldn't need to depend on the state to get them through an emergency. I couldn't fathom how the people involved in Katrina could have prepared for such catastrophic circumstances.

I personally do not want myself or my children to live in such conditions that warrant toting guns around in order to assure survival. I'm just not built of that stock and I'm not ashamed of that either. I am who I am and was born when I was born. I just can't see living our lives in such fear.

As for growing food, I'd be S.O.L. because I hate gardening in any way. And I have to wonder what on earth I'd grow that would keep us alive anyway. We'd need wheat, veggies and fruit. I live on less than one acre. Gosh, what about people who live in apartments and don't even own any land? Even if I did manage to grow all of those things, I can't imagine trying to guard the garden from other people. That brings to mind the whole gun totin thing again. Nope, I'm afraid I'll be one of the first to die or be killed. I just can't see hurting someone for trying to survive themselves, no matter how crazy it might make them. Ick, the whole thing sounds like a bad sci-fi movie.

I am simply saying that all these threads are making me think about these things. Some have always stocked. But many are getting interested in it now because of the perception that there will be a food crisis. If half the nation gets on the storage bandwagon, might that hurt the poorest in our society? It might. Can't say. Just thinking out loud.

If everyone panics and buys food when they think there's a food crisis, then there will be a food crisis. But if a large number of us have already stored plenty of food, then we won't be going to the store and buying a lot of food right when everyone else is. Food won't be so scarce, prices won't rise as much, and the poor won't be hit so hard. Thus, food storage is an anti-crisis mechanism for a whole community, not just an individual family, and it helps the poor.

Food storage is also economical for anyone on a tight budget; if you start slowly by buying, say, 10 cans on tuna when they're on sale instead of 2, then you won't have to buy it when it's not on sale. So food storage, even on a small scale, is good for poor people because it cuts down the grocery bill. It can start with an investment of $5/week.

I don't want to get into this one too deeply, because it has been a LONG time since I opened a Bible, but as I recall, the Samaritan did not risk his life to save the man lying beaten on the road. Yes, he spent his time and his money, and those were naturally his by right to spend as he chose. He did not chose to help the man at the expense of his own quality of life. Food and water are necessary for life. When we speak of giving away our food storage, we are talking about giving away life, not just a bit of time or money, especially if the situation is one in which replacements for that food will be impossible or simply severly limited.

Jumping in... as a Christian, I am called to act as Christ did, not as the Good Samaritan did. The early Christians shared all they had. I hope that I could be as giving... it would be tough, I am sure.

And then, of course, there is this from the parable of the sheep and the goats (sorry, it is a long passage, but I didn't have time to sum up):

Matthew 25:34-45

"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'

37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

41"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.'

44"They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?'

45"He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.'

For a Christian to deny help to someone in genuine need, when you have the means to help them, is like refusing to help Christ.

For a Christian to deny help to someone in genuine need, when you have the means to help them, is like refusing to help Christ.

I agree, Heather. As I have thought through these things, I realized that working together and pitching in would be the way to go. Back to bartering almost. Those that are able, should pitch in. (Those that eat, should work) Those that aren't able to help should get taken care of anyway.

That was a great post.

Tracy

I hear you!

If worse came to worse I would just chew on the coffee beans. You get a lot more bang for your buck! :D

Dh went and got me some coffee beans the other day. I told him that I wanted Verona (from Starbucks.) He brought me back Verona--but it was decaf!!!! :001_huh:

The next morning I took it back. When the guy handed me the bag of regular Verona he asked if I wanted it ground and I looked at him like he had three heads. Why would I do that? There is nothing like the smell and flavor of freshly ground coffee beans. Mmmmmm.....I'm feeling tempted to make myself a cup right now!

What kind of coffee beans do you buy? Didn't you tell me that you order yours from someplace online?

Well you know, the alternative would be to store the beans AND chocolate and then just melt the chocolate and dip the beans! You will be the best house on the block when calamity comes! (AND you will have both chocolate and coffee!) :tongue_smilie:

Thank you, those of you who answered my question. It's been enlightening. I was raised in several different Christian denominations, and exposed to several others, but I have never *been* Christian (or anything vaguely monotheistic, for that matter). It's difficult for me to get my head into that worldview, even for a little while.

Angela, in response to your question, I'll just say that I've always felt that the willingness to sacrifice for others or for our beliefs is what separates us from the animals. It's what makes us human. I wouldn't starve my child to feed someone else, but if we were comfortable and our neighbors were starving, I'd definitely share my food.

Robin

Well you know, the alternative would be to store the beans AND chocolate and then just melt the chocolate and dip the beans! You will be the best house on the block when calamity comes! (AND you will have both chocolate and coffee!) :tongue_smilie:

Hmmmm.....kaffeetrinker_2.gif you know, you may be on to something.....:cheers2: