Menu

Mild deodorant recommendation?

How about the homemade kind? I won't go back to store-bought because I think the homemade kind works better ;). So far dd10 occasionally complains of being sweaty but I haven't smelled anything yet so I haven't gone down this road, but I'm planning to give her the homemade stuff.

I can't remember the recipe, but it's something like equal parts coconut oil, baking soda and cornstarch (or arrowroot).

How about a natural one like Tom's of Maine? I love their product line, it's mild. I have to go with regular deo if I'm out all day or doing something very strenuous, otherwise, this works great without a lot of added junk.

I am seriously terrible at homemade anything - even with a recipe. :blush:

I think Tom's is what my dd 11 started with a couple of years ago. I could go out and get that. Would it be considered safe for a seven year old? She still seems so young to me.

What should I do about underarm odor in a girl of 7.5? It has really only become noticable this past week. Is there a very mild deodorant she could use? Just washing under her arms isn't enough. An antiperspirant isn't necessary.

I mix up some baking soda and coconut oil until it's a creamy consistency. Adults or children can use it since it contains nothing harmful.

Questions for everyone that simply makes their own -

Is it sticky?

Is it clear or can you see it?

It seems like it would be a white paste-like substance.

How do you apply it?

Sorry, if this sounds completely moronic, I'm just having a hard time visualizing what I would do with a bowl of this mixture. Does it solidify?

Thanks!

I make some with baking soda, corn starch and coconut oil. I melt the coconut oil and mix it all together. I put it in a tub and just smear it on with my fingers. it sort of hardens up, because coconut oil is solid... I've heard people take an old deoderant container and pour it in there and use it

I am seriously terrible at homemade anything - even with a recipe. :blush:

I think Tom's is what my dd 11 started with a couple of years ago. I could go out and get that. Would it be considered safe for a seven year old? She still seems so young to me.

Ds who is 9 is using it. It has no aluminum so IMO it is safe.

please see my answers in red. :D

Is it sticky? No. It has the same texture as solid stick deodorant.

Is it clear or can you see it? no, it is not clear. it is white, just like regular solid deo.

It seems like it would be a white paste-like substance. yup!

How do you apply it? i put mine in a 1/2 pint mason jar. I just use the back of my thumbnail to scrape some out. It softens with from the heat of your body.

Sorry, if this sounds completely moronic, I'm just having a hard time visualizing what I would do with a bowl of this mixture. Does it solidify? Yes it does. During hot summer months, it can be quite soft if your home gets warm. You can always store it in the fridge.

Thanks!

Is it sticky?

Is it clear or can you see it?

It seems like it would be a white paste-like substance.

How do you apply it?

Sorry, if this sounds completely moronic, I'm just having a hard time visualizing what I would do with a bowl of this mixture. Does it solidify?

Thanks!

I don't feel sticky at all. Once it goes on, it's clear. I keep it in a cheap plastic container and just dip a finger in and apply it. Rub it in a little and that is it.

Coconut oil can get a little more liquid in high heat and more solid in cold temps. I have never had a problem either way and it's just stored in a drawer in the bathroom.