Menu

oh, please help me with this mess ...

A little info on three of your choices, however I have not homeschooled in any place other than TN....

Panama City, FL: It is beautiful and warm. You can live away from all the craziness on the busy part of the beach. Sea breezes help allergies not to be so bad. PC is not too far from many nice cities...Pensacola, Tallahassee, Mobile and Montgomery.

Goldsboro, NC: We lived in Wilmington, NC for a couple of years. A great place to live and a wonderful beach. Goldsboro is not far from the big city of Raleigh to the north and from the wonderful beaches on the coast. The mountains of NC are some of my most favorite places to visit....absolutely gorgeous. This part of NC has some cold weather, but not much. I would move to NC in a heartbeat.

Colorado Springs, CO: I have visited there only once and my brother lived there a couple of years. I loved it and its beauty. I wouldn't like the cold weather or the high cost of living.

I have lived on the east coast of NC and GA. Both times I had wonderful relief from my seasonal allergies. I believe that living near the ocean really helps that.

Best wishes to you and your family in your decision. And, Go Blue! My dd also served in the AF. Please thank your husband for me for serving our country.

Panama City is not really a big city, but does have a mall and lots of places to shop. Traffic is worse around the beaches, but not horrible unless you are on "the strip."

Though the salty air may help a little, the oak pollen is thick in this part of Florida. We live an hour north of PC and have a lot of trouble with our allergies because of it. If you can go to the beach fairly often, it would be excellent.

Homeschooling in FL is easy as the others have said. There appears to be an active homeschool community there (They just had a used curriculum sale there this week). HTH

Thanks again, y'all. See, maybe we'll get Texas because I'm already practicing my y'alls. ;)

gardenschooler, no biggie. I get it now.

Sis, dh talked with someone who was stationed in Abilene and loved it, so that made a big impression on him and it's one of his top choices. I'm fine with it and thankfully we agree on our choices. I appreciate the info though.

jmgconner, but it's cold, cold, cold! I've lived in cold weather nearly all my life and have such good memories of the time we lived in warm weather. I just like the sun.

TraceyS/FL, wow, those pictures are awesome! Photo class? What guy? I'm a little confused. But thanks for the reassurance about FL.

Barb F. PA in AZ, I didn't know you'd moved. Bet it was a big adjustment! I'm glad it's growing on you. I've never been to AZ, but I hear a lot of friends and family love it.

Kanga, maybe I'll steal it, too! ;)

P.S. Oldest dd said she knew there was no chance we'd want LA, so she changed her first choice to FL.

TXMomof4, thanks! Dh is really hoping to get this one, and I won't mind it either.

susie in tx, I had Luke AFB AZ (Phoenix) as #2, but dh moved it down to #3 just before submitting it. I'm okay with it.

Shannon831, Tyndall AFB FL, Dyess AFB TX, Luke AFB AZ, Creech AFB NV, Beale AFB CA, US Air Force Academy CO, Hill AFB UT, Ft Leavenworth KS, Seymour-Johnson AFB NC, Fairchild AFB WA, Holloman AFB NM, Laughlin AFB TX, Los Angeles AFB CA, Keesler AFB MS, Ellsworth AFB SD. Unfortunately, the bases in warm weather are usually the top picks on everybody's list, so that means our chances are slim. :(

Rebecca in TN, I've heard people love North Carolina. At first I didn't put it high on the list because dh said he didn't want to live on the east coast unless it was Florida. Then I bumped it up when he said he was interested in it. Then I bumped it down when I heard about the allergies. The base wouldn't be on the coast, so I was worried it'd be too hard for ds. Glad to hear Panama City isn't too far from the bigger cities. I was worried it was a little isolated. Yep, Colorado Springs wasn't high on my list because of the cold weather. Dh was interested in it at first, but then he changed his mind. Whew! :D

Emily in Fl, uh-oh, the oak pollen would be a problem for ds, I think. Well, we've already submitted our choices. Dh thinks it'll be a popular choice and that we don't have much chance of getting it. Thanks for the info!

...... I've looked into it more and discussed it with dh. He's worried it would just be prison duty though, so it doesn't look very promising.

I know they have a good sized analysis department there, but I don't know what % of it is military officers vs civilian. I know that at least some analysis shops are cutting back on active military officer slots. But I wouldn't want prison duty either.

TraceyS/FL, wow, those pictures are awesome! Photo class? What guy? I'm a little confused. But thanks for the reassurance about FL.

....snip......

Shannon831, Tyndall AFB FL, Dyess AFB TX, Luke AFB AZ, Creech AFB NV, Beale AFB CA, US Air Force Academy CO, Hill AFB UT, Ft Leavenworth KS, Seymour-Johnson AFB NC, Fairchild AFB WA, Holloman AFB NM, Laughlin AFB TX, Los Angeles AFB CA, Keesler AFB MS, Ellsworth AFB SD. Unfortunately, the bases in warm weather are usually the top picks on everybody's list, so that means our chances are slim. :(

I had found a gallery online of a photographer that took a class at White Sands. Like a "pro" type of week long workshop. It was incredible - and i cna't find it again, and want to take the workshop myself "someday"!

Sorry to confuse you...... :D

How long do you have to wait to find out? That is the part that would make me crazy - the waiting!!

Kathy in MD, uhhh, how do I say this in a nice way? Well, neither of us is really enticed by the prospect of Fort Leavenworth. No tomatoes, please! ;)

TraceyS/FL, I'd be interested in a workshop like that for myself, too! Please share it if you ever do find it again. We hope to find out by June 10th. I'm just going to try to stay busy, busy, busy so I don't think too much about it! :toetap05: