Menu

Boy Scouts

My boys have asked about Boy Scouts occasionally and we have not been able to fit it in. Someone mentioned to me that you can do Boy Scouts on your own and join a troop later. Does anyone know anything about that?

Lone Scouting, yes - but usually it is only approved in very specific circumstances: i.e., living in Africa as a misisonary, living 200 miles from the closest town, etc.

If there is a Troop near you, the Council will not endorse it.

A big part of scouting is leadership - in fact, after the basic scouting skills are learned - it's pretty much all about leadership and helping younger scouts. Hard to do that by yourself.

My boys have asked about Boy Scouts occasionally and we have not been able to fit it in. Someone mentioned to me that you can do Boy Scouts on your own and join a troop later. Does anyone know anything about that?

You don't have to join your local troop. You can (and, I would argue, should) ask around to find a troop that is active, has lots of participation, has lots of adult involvement, does lots of activities, and is organized enough to have had several boys go through the Eagle Scout process. That may be your local troop, and it may be one a bit farther afield.

It is possible to register as a Lone Scout. This is a program designed for scouts who are unable to participate with a regular troop for a variety of reasons (sickness, travel, isolated location, safety, etc).

However, I would say as an experienced scout mom and as someone whose sons have been registered as Lone Scouts, that if you can register with a troop, then it is usually a better experience. Especially if one of the problems is that your family is busy and having trouble fitting scouting in. It's a lot easier to do great scouting activities if you aren't the only one planning them.

Lone Scouts isn't really a correspondence program. It requires that an adult register with them as their Lone Scout Friend and Counselor. And then it requires a lot of effort and attention by the scout and the counselor to make sure that the scout achieves his goals (whether they are merit badges or rank advancement or camping or whatever).

You don't have to register with the closest pack or troop. It is ok to shop around for one that meets on a day that fits your schedule. You might even find one specifically for homeschoolers that meets during the daytime.