Menu

Is there a History program that ISN'T Lit based?

My DS isn't much of a reader and if he does read he wants me to read with him. Sometimes not a problem other times it is. Anyway, Is there a history program that isn't lit based?

We already have 3 co-op class that we have signed up for so no more funds for outside classes. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks!

You could just use Spielvogel with a study guide, or any number of texts that way.

However, he will need to do literature of some sort. Combining it with history sometimes makes it somewhat more palatable to those who don't like to read, because it gives the backround and makes it more interesting.

Just a thought.

well which one would you suggest for a non reader?

Notgrass is really a gentle textbook for a nonreader. If you use the quiz book, it will introduce the need to remember details, without overwhelming. And you don't have to do the literature that he recommends -- it really doesn't have much of a part in his the program.

I do think with any history program, it's a great benefit for a child to discuss topics with an adult.

I really like Bob Jones. Not only is the text interesting compared to some history textbooks, but they use an activity guide to add to and round out what the student is learning. The TE also recommends some possible Lit to add, but it is not required.

My ds loves BJU history for it's straightforward approach. If we were not going to use MFW Ancients next year, we would be using a BJU History text.