Menu

HOD users?

mama26

I am trying to decide on HOD with my limited budget and also the fact that I work part-time.

What do you HOD users think about just using the history portion of the program. Is it worth it? Would I be sacrificing so much of the program that it wouldn't be worth doing at all?

With time and resources limited I need something that is somewhat independent and not so hard on my pocketbook.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

We are using HOD Beyond and Little Hands to Heaven this year, but I had a tight budget. I bought the teachers manuals used (on the HOD yahoo group) and bought our books from Rainbow Resource, this saved me quite a bit of money. I know that probably isnt a popular idea, since it is better to buy directly from HOD and support them. But for me it was my only choice, if I wanted to use HOD.

Good Luck!

We also buy a few books from HOD and the rest from RR. :blush: I mainly buy my manuals and harder-to-find books from HOD. It comes out much cheaper, and I'm still supporting them a bit. Another thing I did was to leave out a couple books...one was $20 for a chapter book (seemed like a waste for a book we'd spend 2 weeks on) and another was a 2nd biography on Thomas Edison. Both were part of the extension pack, so they aren't essential...maybe there are some books you could omit (or check out of the library) I would have left out even more, but I had a good tax return to work with.

We've made quite a few changes and I still feel the teacher's guide is worth it...they are very reasonable for as much as they include. At the level you are considering, there is quite a bit of independent work, so I think it would work nicely with you working. I worked part time at the beginning of our year, and we also had an unexpected move...HOD was such a help with all the chaos!

Thanks for the encouragement. I have had my heart set on doing a unit study like I did with my older kids, but now life has thrown us a curve and with me working I am having to reconcile myself to what I would like to do and what is doable in the long run are two different things. I'm sure many of you have been there.

I just feel like I'm letting my younger kids down on the best homeschooling experience I can give them and what is feasible. Still trying to decide.

Anyone else want to jump in?

Thanks!

I echo both posters that order many of the books from RR.

I went through and made a spread sheet of all the suggested titles and then put in prices from HoD, RR, Amazon (I have been accumulating gift cards from Swagbucks) and searched for titles at my library. I found 3 or 4 titles right in our own bookshelves :D and a number of the history readers at my library. I only purchased the guides and out-of-print books from HoD and am buying the balance from RR and Amazon. It's about making the most of your own budget to school your family, it doesn't matter how you gather the resources. :)

We are using HOD and have yet to order anything directly from them. I try first to find all I can used here, at thrift stores, amazon, abe books, ebay, etc. Everything else I buy from Amazon or RR. when we get to higher guides I will have to buy some things directly from HOD.

We used CtC for 6th grade. I did not follow her schedule for the LA, Math or Science, although I did use some of the resources she recommends. Same for RtR this year (although I wish I would have followed her writing suggestion!)

This year she has shipping discounts and is allowing substitutions, so you can change out a book (or more depending on the program) if you already have one. If you buy the package you will get a discount on the TM, the notebooking pages and any books you can’t get elsewhere or that are sold at full price (like the Story of the Ancient World). This saves quite a bit over paying full price + shipping on those items. If you can find most of the books used at a substantial discount that may be less expensive but I had to buy most of my books for CtC new. I used it the first year it came out; now you may be able to find the TM or a whole package used.

I’m not sure where on the website the info is re substitutions. It is in their catalogue.

We have enjoyed using HOD very much and plan to continue with Rev2Rev this next year.

Guest RecumbentHeart

With a curriculum like HOD, I buy what I can used through Amazon if I can find it at a decent discount (total cost after shipping is added) or new if I can get the free shipping.

That said though, I recall a thread from way back where many said they believed HOD worth it just for the history alone.

I would also buy the guide used if necessary - check the sale forum here, vegsource and homeschoolclassifieds for deals.