Menu

Algebra cram course

My dd has been homeschooled all along. She is 13 now. So, for various reasons, she is going to go to a top private school in our area next fall.

This private school normally does Algebra in 8th grade, but the advanced students take Algebra in 7th. My daughter has an excellent math background and completed 805 in CLE Math.

Then, when my wife learned about the math progression at the school, she borrowed the school Algebra textbook, Prentice-Hall Algebra, and they started a 4 month crash course in Algebra. They are a little over halfway through now.

My dd is hating it. But my wife doesn't want our dd to be behind anyone in math. She has always been way ahead in math and always tested way off the charts in math. She just hadn't done Algebra until now. But now, they are doing 2 hours of math/day and will complete the book this summer.

Anyway, I am wondering if this is too short of an Algebra course and she should just take Algebra in the fall anyway, or if it would be boring to re-do what she has just been doing? The school will have a test to place her. They will make the decision really, but I am just not sure.

Because on the one hand, re-taking Algebra after just completing it, using the same book might be boring. On the other hand, Algebra is very important and maybe doing 1 1/2 years of it would be good to cement it in her head before moving on.

What do you think?

I agree with what's been said. I think it depends on whether she'd move onto Algebra 2 or geometry. If it's geometry, then she could further cement the algebra at the same time during the next year, but if it's to move into algebra 2, then she might not be up for that if she's hating algebra 1.

I'm not getting why it matters where she is compared to the others especially if they are grouped by each individual subject. I think it's better to be a top math student of whatever course you're doing than being in the top class and struggling or not liking the material. Algebra 1 is a really important foundation for all the other courses that follow. Then again, what HeighHo makes sense that if she really excels in math, she'd probably enjoy being with the other students who pick it up quickly too rather than with those who might go a bit slower. Or it could just be that some of those students also are transferring in and were on a schedule for algebra 1 in 8th.

I'd ask your dd what she'd prefer to do and take that into consideration too. :)

Out of curiosity, what does the math schedule look like for those who do algebra in 7th? Do they offer classes beyond Calculus I and II?

Edited by Teachin'Mine

My dd has been homeschooled all along. She is 13 now. So, for various reasons, she is going to go to a top private school in our area next fall.

This private school normally does Algebra in 8th grade, but the advanced students take Algebra in 7th. My daughter has an excellent math background and completed 805 in CLE Math.

Then, when my wife learned about the math progression at the school, she borrowed the school Algebra textbook, Prentice-Hall Algebra, and they started a 4 month crash course in Algebra. They are a little over halfway through now.

My dd is hating it. But my wife doesn't want our dd to be behind anyone in math. She has always been way ahead in math and always tested way off the charts in math. She just hadn't done Algebra until now. But now, they are doing 2 hours of math/day and will complete the book this summer.

Anyway, I am wondering if this is too short of an Algebra course and she should just take Algebra in the fall anyway, or if it would be boring to re-do what she has just been doing? The school will have a test to place her. They will make the decision really, but I am just not sure.

Because on the one hand, re-taking Algebra after just completing it, using the same book might be boring. On the other hand, Algebra is very important and maybe doing 1 1/2 years of it would be good to cement it in her head before moving on.

What do you think?

What about the Algebra Regents exam? Are you still in NY?

If she has to take that, she'll need to start working on practice exams to prepare for the Regents at some point. I just looked for the date but couldn't find the specific date, just that they'll be Aug. 17 & 18.

What grade will she be in when she starts school? 8th or 9th?

She'll be in 8th grade in the fall. Taking geometry, if she passes the Algebra test. So, if the Algebra is forgotten during the next year, Algebra 2 might be problematic the following year.

On the other hand, the school probably expects kids to forget some of the things they learned in Algebra and there is probably some review in Algebra 2.:confused:

I agree with a lot of what's been said already.

Since she will be in 8th this fall, you could have her review Algebra 1 after school and the following summer perhaps using a different curriculum. Your daughter likely can do well in geometry while she's beefing up her understanding of Algebra 1 concepts, but I'd make sure she has those down well before moving on to Algebra 2.

She'll be in 8th grade in the fall. Taking geometry, if she passes the Algebra test. So, if the Algebra is forgotten during the next year, Algebra 2 might be problematic the following year.

On the other hand, the school probably expects kids to forget some of the things they learned in Algebra and there is probably some review in Algebra 2.:confused:

I might lean towards Algebra if she's going to be in 8th, especially if she has to take the Regents exam.