Menu

We are going camping...need recipes/websites

We're going camping this weekend, and I'm looking for some camping recipes. I'd also like fun ideas for things to do with the kids while there. I mean, other than the obvious fishing, swimming, hiking, etc. I was thinking of maybe a craft or...something?? Any ideas? Thx

T

We went camping last fall and a couple of easy recipes are: taco soup, and walking tacos. With taco soup, you can brown the ground beef and onion before you leave, then you are just basically dumping cans of stuff in the pot.

Taco Soup

1 lb. ground beef, browned with diced onion and garlic

3 cans beans with liquid, you can use whatever kinds you like

1 can Rotel

1 can corn with liquid

1 pkg. taco seasoning

might want to add some water if this is too thick for your liking

Just put everything in the pot and let it simmer. Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa on top...whatever suits your family

Walking Tacos

1 lb. ground beef, browned with onion and garlic

1 pkg. taco seasoning

fixings: tomatoes, cheese, salsa, lettuce..etc.

packages of corn chips, the individual size

brown ground beef at the campsite if you want to, as it smells so good! Add taco seasoning, and spoon meat into opened bags of chips (squish to crush chips before putting meat in) top with whatever you like and eat with a spoon. Our kids really thought these were fun.

Hope this helps!

Laura

Don't forget the s'mores! My kids like to bring flashlights and play lightsabers in the smoke from the fire or do shadow play on the tent wall. Glowsticks are always a big hit. We bring Uno cards and drawing paper for quiet activities and buckets, nets, and balls for less quiet activities. BInoculars too. We usually do hamburgers and hotdogs at least once. Chicken, potatoes, and veggies wrapped in foil, seasoned as your family likes (we use butter and garlic) and cooked on the grill is yummy.

Try looking on a boy scout website; they are usually fun on fun, easy, and fairly delicious meals including foil meals, and dutch oven meals. We like things like taking biscuit dough wrapping it around a stick and rolling in melted butter and cinnamon sugar and letting them roast it on the stick.

We tend to birdwatch whenever we're in camp during the day, and star watch at night. My kids have always liked playing tag, hide and seek, etc. in the dark. We try to camp on the same side of the road as the playground area so they don't have to go back and forth (even though there's not too much car traffic at any time). You can't do collections of things when you're in a park, so I can't suggest doing a leaf collection, or pressing flowers, or anything like that, unfortunately, LOL...... But they could certainly nature journal while there.....

We take a lot of things that are easy to make by just adding hot water. We may take cheese and bread to make grilled cheese, along with a can of tomato soup and herbs to spice it up (crackers for floating in it, etc.). We take hot cereals and hot drinks for breakfasts (or evenings). We take chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers for toasting and making s'mores.

We may take chicken and grill that the first night; and/or hamburgers. We try to use the uncooked meat the first night or two, so we don't have to worry about how cold it's been kept. We bring lettuce and tomatoes that we can use on burgers and also for salads. We bring a small bottle of salad dressing. We bring spices to add zest to any type of meat grilled. We might bring other vegis', like zucchini, etc. to put on the grill.

We take hot dogs to do over the fire. We may take canned chili to do along with that. We take sandwich meats and fixin's for sandwiches at lunch times (also more soups).

We may take some cold cereals, especially if they can eat it dry, as we don't take too much milk with us. I take pre-cooked bacon which can just be warmed up and used in many, many ways for all meals.

We take big containers of water and drink mostly that. We do also take some juices, fresh fruit that's more camping friendly, etc.

Have fun! Wish we were going,

We just went camping last weekend and made shish-ka-bobs. We used a tender steak and had it all cut up and ready to "spear" with the vegetables(our veggies of choice were: pinapple, onion, green pepper, mushrooms). Then Dh laid them on the grill over the fire and kept an eye on them. After dinner we made S'mores.