Menu

Tell me about using DIVE with Apologia Chemistry please???

I'm torn between the DVDs on the Apologia website that sell for $125. and the DIVE ones that sell for $50.

If you've used the DIVE cds please tell me about them.

Likes? Dislikes?

Pros? Cons?

Do the think the Apologia ones are worth the extra money maybe??

"My" time will be greatly limited again next year.:tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

Pam

Hi! I can't comment on the dvds from Apologia or RedWagon Tutorials since I have not used them, but we did use and benefit from the DIVE Chemistry cd. Dr Schorrman (probably spelled that incorrectly - sorry!) is very knowledgeable and give lots of good info. His voice can be bit soft, but that was not a big issue for us. I think the lessons were originally designed to coordinate with the BJU text, so the Apologia texts will be read out of order. Again, this was not a big problem for us. The syllabus provided by DIVE was very helpful, and we used both Apologia texts - it was a very full year! I have lots of lab stuff, so we did many of the labs at home after watching the labs on the cd. good stuff!

Blessings,

April

My oldest used it last year. It's a great program, but probably not for everyone (nothing is I guess :001_smile:)

There are two ways to use it, the way it is designed is to have Dive drive the program and the student uses a textbook or the Internet to round it out. On the cd are videos, a workbook, exams, answers, and a few other things which I forget. You print out the workbook and students answer the questions contained in it instead of the questions in the textbook. This is what we did.

The other way to use it is as a supplement to various textbooks, students answer the questions in the textbook and use the videos for teaching and labs.

As April said there is a syllabus online, but it doesn't correspond with any particular text. Scheduled are Apologia, Bob Jones, the Internet, and maybe one other text. We used Bob Jones.

It is not easy, ds17 would spend 1.5 hours a day, but he learned a lot. I did not use it with ds16 because he is doesn't do well with self-directed programs.

nth,

Karen

We aren't at Chem yet, but ds13 is using it for ICP (Integrated Chem & Physics) right now and will do Bio and ClepPrep Bio through DIVE next year. He's found the material challenging, but the program easy to work with (i.e., user friendly but keeps him on his toes). He is a science kid, so he likes all the info Dr. Shorman explains. His voice is soft, but that's not a big deal - it actually helps him concentrate on what's on the screen. I haven't used the Apologia DVDs, but we really like the DIVE ones.

Some background:

Dd used DIVE to supplement Apologia biology. It helped cement ideas, but I think she got a bit frustrated.

When it came time for chemistry, I was so sick of Apologia's tests and didn't want to write my own tests, that I was considering what else to use. Dd asked if she could do DIVE and use the Apologia text as a supplement. That is what she is doing and it is going well.

She will not major in science and does not need it in her field of study, so it is enough. I guess for us the biggest con of DIVE is that chem has only 4 tests, one each quarter, and the final test, test #4 is the final exam. You are the teacher, you could use the Apologia tests to give more grades to average.

Lastly, check the resale info of DIVE. I understood it to state you could not resell it. That is fine with me, as $50 is not too much to help with a subject I can't teach, and I have two dc who can use it. I could be totally wrong, but I wanted to point that out.

I know nothing about the Apologia dvds.

The DIVE syllabi are available at the DIVE site.

Edited by Angie in VA
correction (in bold)