Menu

My daughter has been denied a bank account

switch banks. If they ran her credit to make that decision they are obligated to tell you specifically why she was denied. I personally have never dealt with "big name" banks. We use small local banks and credit unions. They seem to be more customer friendly and actually care about you as a person and your money.

• 2 weeks later...

:lurk5: Me too!

This very discussion came up the other day while we were opening a new checking account at our credit union. The assistant branch manager doing our paperwork said they are legally required to provide the reason for denial whether it's for a loan or an account. (and then she went on to mention Chex Systems issues, so..)

Wells Fargo never did want to give her an acct. They also never gave us the reason for denying her. She opened an acct at a local credit union instead, without any problems.

I posted about it in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277849

The gist of it is that I think Wells Fargo was trying to get her to sign up for a checking acct with monthly fees, instead of the no fee one she wanted. To do that, they had to convince her that she was a bad risk. But we can't find any evidence that her identity was stolen or that there were mistakes on her credit history or with Chexsystem.

And I'm switching most of my money out of Wells Fargo now as well.

Wells Fargo never did want to give her an acct. They also never gave us the reason for denying her. She opened an acct at a local credit union instead, without any problems.

The gist of it is that I think Wells Fargo was trying to get her to sign up for a checking acct with monthly fees, instead of the no fee one she wanted. To do that, they had to convince her that she was a bad risk. But we can't find any evidence that her identity was stolen or that there were mistakes on her credit history or with Chexsystem.

:sneaky2: :thumbdown:

Wow, that's incredibly lousy of them ..... :ack2:

With that ringing endorsement, I will be upping the speed with which I move my business account out of there and into the credit union with the rest of my business.