Menu

Does he need a reading program? What would you recommend?

I'm debating whether or not to add a reading program to my son's curriculum. He just turned 7 and is a really good reader. He can read pretty much anything you give him, and at this point the issue is appropriate content rather than reading level. He does a lot of reading on his own, probably 1-2 hours a day.

I'm wondering if he would benefit from having a formal reading program as part of his curriculum and, if so, what would be a good choice. We tend to get through school pretty quickly, and so we definitely have time to add one in without bogging him down, but I don't want to turn reading into a chore.

HOD's Drawn into the Heart of Reading looks very interesting if you are okay with the religious perspective. I keep looking at this but the fact that we are Catholic has kept me from taking the plunge so far.

Kolbe's elementary lit program has me :drool5: but ouch, that $150 price tag is steep!

If he is a fluent reader, I honestly do not see why a formal reading program would be needed. He could just read books and discuss them with you, write about them within the framework of his writing instruction. My personal belief is that you learn to read by just - reading.

If he is a fluent reader, I honestly do not see why a formal reading program would be needed. He could just read books and discuss them with you, write about them within the framework of his writing instruction. My personal belief is that you learn to read by just - reading.

:iagree:

Working on CLE Reading 3 2x/week has been beneficial for dd this year -- as it hits on writing, grammar, punctuation, comprehension, inference, vocab (glossary work), spelling, cursive. (I require complete sentences in cursive.) Yes, we cover all these skills through other WTM methods. Dd reads advanced lit but a formal reading program (at grade level) has filled a need. Not to mention, it helps w/ the necessary evil of standardized testing (which we are required by WA to do).

We will do Reading Detective also for these same reasons.

:iagree:

When my son was reading well at that age, I used REWARDS Intermediate to give explicit instruction about decoding mulitsyllabic words. There are only 20 lessons so it doesn't belabor the point. My son loved it.