Menu

Louisiana Flooding - Touching report

It showed many people evacuating.

I thought it was 15? Not that 3 feet much matters, but did you watch the whole thing? There is some very good work going on to protect the community.

Seems insane not to evacuate when 18 feet of water are expected!!

Edited by LibraryLover

It's a great story, really excellent, so I hope you get a chance sometime to watch the whole thing. It's fairy long, which is so PBS and BBC. ;) lol

It's far more than the headline.

My computer won't let me watch the whole video:glare:.

I am originally from that area. The people there are incredibly resilient. They will survive this and come back stronger than ever.

Edited by LibraryLover

Are any WTM members near the areas?

Yes, there was somebody on here asking for prayers about them opening a flood gate or something. Ugh I can not remember nor can I remember who or find the thread :glare:

Anybody remember that? I think it was posted this weekend?? :confused:

ETA: Found it! It was Cajunrose and here is the thread? Anybody heard from her?

Edited by wy_kid_wrangler04

Yes, there was somebody on here asking for prayers about them opening a flood gate or something. Ugh I can not remember nor can I remember who or find the thread :glare:

Anybody remember that? I think it was posted this weekend?? :confused:

ETA: Found it! It was Cajunrose and here is the thread? Anybody heard from her?

The story describes how the water is being slowly released so residents and wildlife have some time to get to higher ground. The area is still not flooded

We are a tough bunch of people; we'll be ok! It's startling, but the spillways were designed to do exactly what they are now doing. The residents at risk have had years to plan, and over a week to implement. I walked the levee on Saturday. The water is very, very high and there are some places where water is seeping under or through but overall the levees are holding up well.

We are a tough bunch of people; we'll be ok! It's startling, but the spillways were designed to do exactly what they are now doing. The residents at risk have had years to plan, and over a week to implement. I walked the levee on Saturday. The water is very, very high and there are some places where water is seeping under or through but overall the levees are holding up well.

I just loved the folks they interviewed in the piece. What about the 87 year old woman who was talking about how she had to get out because she couldn't swim, and the family making food for the soldiers, the army corp spokesman describing how and why they made the decision etc. Just a great bunch of interviews!

I just loved the folks they interviewed in the piece. What about the 87 year old woman who was talking about how she had to get out because she couldn't swim, and the family making food for the soldiers, the army corp spokesman describing how and why they made the decision etc. Just a great bunch of interviews!

After Katrina hit New Orleans the media was pretty harsh at times, portraying the citizens as a group of gun packing, looting, loose cannons. I'm glad to see at least one positive look into how the people of south LA really are. We stick together, help one another, and appreciate all that we are and all that we have. Thanks for posting the link.

That's all you got from that story? lol ?

:lol: We live in a sound-byte world, ya know! :001_smile:

At any rate, I fail to see how heart-warming it is that this lady is refusing to evacuate b/c it's her dream house? I suppose the National Guard is happy for the hot meals over MREs, but it's not like they'd go hungry. Maybe she wants to make a bunch of buddies so they can come back and rescue her from her roof when the water gets too high.... :tongue_smilie: The old lady has more sense!

At any rate, I fail to see how heart-warming it is that this lady is refusing to evacuate b/c it's her dream house? I suppose the National Guard is happy for the hot meals over MREs, but it's not like they'd go hungry. Maybe she wants to make a bunch of buddies so they can come back and rescue her from her roof when the water gets too high.... :tongue_smilie: The old lady has more sense!

Sorry if I'm a little OT-

There would be more guard activated now except the state hasn't figured out how to feed them. And don't even get me started on the conditions for the guardsmen following Katrina. Sometimes LA's reputation is deserved. (And that comes from someone born and raised in the bayou state.)

I'm going to address this in my roundabout, five-simultaneous-trains-of-though kind of way. It's ok if you don't get it. No one ever does.

Cajuns are a unique set of people. After getting kicked out of Canada (Nova Scotia area to be exact) just because we happened to be French-speaking when the Brits took over, we wondered for a while. Many of us ended up in south Louisiana, not the easiest place to live. We were cool with being back in a French colony. All of a sudden, we became Americans. No one asked our opinion on that, but we were mostly left alone (for which we were happy). Along comes WWII. Our boys were drafted into the US Army. Again, we were cool with that because many of our boys served as interpreters in France. Then they came back. The government was fast on their heels. They started forcing our kids to speak English in school instead of the French we were speaking for hundreds of years. (My Dad was actually spanked in school for speaking his native French.) After about a generation of government interferrence, our culture started breaking down because they robbed us of our language and way of life. And can we mention the oh-so-insulting nickname many other Americans gave us? Coon-a$$. Lovely:glare:. So please pardon the older lady who refuses to be moved yet again by the government. We have a few issues with the government telling us how to live our lives.

So the folks in the PBS piece are Cajun? I don't see that. Most people are hightailing it out of there. ;)

I'm going to address this in my roundabout, five-simultaneous-trains-of-though kind of way. It's ok if you don't get it. No one ever does.

Cajuns are a unique set of people. After getting kicked out of Canada (Nova Scotia area to be exact) just because we happened to be French-speaking when the Brits took over, we wondered for a while. Many of us ended up in south Louisiana, not the easiest place to live. We were cool with being back in a French colony. All of a sudden, we became Americans. No one asked our opinion on that, but we were mostly left alone (for which we were happy). Along comes WWII. Our boys were drafted into the US Army. Again, we were cool with that because many of our boys served as interpreters in France. Then they came back. The government was fast on their heels. They started forcing our kids to speak English in school instead of the French we were speaking for hundreds of years. (My Dad was actually spanked in school for speaking his native French.) After about a generation of government interferrence, our culture started breaking down because they robbed us of our language and way of life. And can we mention the oh-so-insulting nickname many other Americans gave us? Coon-a$$. Lovely:glare:. So please pardon the older lady who refuses to be moved yet again by the government. We have a few issues with the government telling us how to live our lives.

Hope it all works out.

Eeh- easy come, easy go. I think most people are doing the smart thing and getting clear. The bummer will be waiting for the water to recede. They said down by the spillway it could be mid-July before the land is dry.

But I wish I hadn't watched that clip- now all I can think about is red beans and rice!

So the folks in the PBS piece are Cajun? I don't see that. Most people are hightailing it out of there. ;)

Krotz Springs is pretty Cajun. Yep, some people are leaving. Cajuns are stubborn, not dumb.;) Some will stay because their families have been there for generations. Some will leave because they don't trust the government-built levees. Most will have Budweiser somewhere close by to get through this.

FTR, my family never left for hurricanes. Right now, my Grandma lives in an area that would be underwater if the levee breaks. My Mom had to drag her out of her house today.

Krotz Springs is pretty Cajun. Yep, some people are leaving. Cajuns are stubborn, not dumb.;) Some will stay because their families have been there for generations. Some will leave because they don't trust the government-built levees. Most will have Budweiser somewhere close by to get through this.

FTR, my family never left for hurricanes. Right now, my Grandma lives in an area that would be underwater if the levee breaks. My Mom had to drag her out of her house today.

Absolutely this!!

ETA- I bet that scene has played out in a lot of families since last week.

Edited by BLA5

I'm in the area that is expected to get 11 foot of water on the front side and 6 foot of water on the back side. We are more worried about the 6 foot on the backside in my neighborhood. Look at my newest blog post for pictures as to why.

As far as the video, I don't understand why people don't leave. I get that she's feed the guard but that's not her primary reason. It's people that stay around that the CG has to rescue later, sometimes risking their lives.

We are packed and ready to go at a moments notice. My area is expected to see water today....and in 2 days on the backside.

And I'm cajun...and proud to also call myself a coona$$. It's who I am..where I'm from...and my life. I love it down here and this is breaking my heart.

As far as the video, I don't understand why people don't leave. I get that she's feed the guard but that's not her primary reason. It's people that stay around that the CG has to rescue later, sometimes risking their lives.

This, absolutely.

I love it down here and this is breaking my heart.

It's a wretched situation. I feel so bad for everybody in the path of all that water.... :(

Some do, yes. What's your point in posting...you seem to have taken a really weird stand here. I am not getting you at all. Color me confused.

Wow. Well, I guess that CajunRose said it best:

Nothing weird about that....