Menu

Tips for non-Catholics attending mass?

In Spain it's safe to keep your shoulders and knees covered (regular shirt and skirt, no tank top or mini skirt), follow what other people do and stay in your pew during Communion. Others will stay too, so you won't be drawing attention. Some will have their head covered, but most won't.

Thanks! Should I bring a scarf to cover my head?

I think headcoverings are only worn during an Extraordinary Mass, and that, only if it is the tradition of that church.

%20It%20is%20not,%20however%20a%20sin%20to%20participate%20in%20the%20Holy%20Mass%20according%20to%20the%20Extraordinary%20Form%20without%20a%20veil.%C3%A2%C2%80%C2%9D"]This from Cardinal Burke, clipped from Father Z's blog:

“Thank you for your letter …The wearing of a chapel veil for women is not required when women assist at the Holy Mass according to Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite. It is, however, the expectation that women who assist at the Mass according to the Extraordinary Form cover their heads, as was the practice at the time that the 1962 Missale Romanum was in force. It is not, however a sin to participate in the Holy Mass according to the Extraordinary Form without a veil.â€

Since you aren't a member, you won't be assisting, and so if you don't wear anything, you're OK.

But going to see an Extraordinary Form at a Spanish Medieval Cathedral? *swoon* I'd tuck a pretty scarf into my purse and if I felt so inclined put it on.

Kneeling is actually optional; my non-Christian dh doesn't kneel (since it's a posture of worship) but just sits at the kneeling part when he comes to Mass. Nobody notices--Catholics with knee problems sit at the kneeling parts, too.

Here's all the things I wish people would tell the tourists who visit the cathedral where I attend Mass:

Don't take photos while Mass is going on! Especially resist the urge to take a great photo when the priest holds up the Host after the consecration.

If it's a big cathedral, and you can spectate unobtrusively around the sides while Mass is going on, that's fine; but keep your voice down and avoid flash photography when there are worshippers nearby.

Don't eat inside the church building, or chew gum; this includes children (nursing babies are obviously fine).

Women don't need to cover their heads, but men should remove their hats.

Don't talk at all, even in a whisper, when you're near a Mass being said, or near people praying on their own; cathedrals are built to carry sound, and you're a lot more audible than you think you are.

Don't wander into the sanctuary (that's the part up the steps where the altar is; the part where the congregation stays is the nave).

Don't worry about putting anything in the collection plate if you're just visiting; but if there's a box for donations for upkeep of the building, please be generous. :)

Most of these things are just plain manners, which you'd think anyone not born in a barn would know; but it's been eye-opening, over the years.

A question, out of curiosity: the cathedral in Barcelona is Sagrada Familia, which I would give my right arm to visit (non-Catholic dh got to visit it on a business trip, lucky thing), but is not at all medieval. Is that the one you're seeing?

Edited by Sharon in Austin

Thank you! :)

A question, out of curiosity: the cathedral in Barcelona is Sagrada Familia, which I would give my right arm to visit (non-Catholic dh got to visit it on a business trip, lucky thing), but is not at all medieval. Is that the one you're seeing?

As far as I can tell, Sagrada Familia does not hold services. We will visit it, but not for mass. We are going to go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_Cathedral

Here's all the things I wish people would tell the tourists who visit the cathedral where I attend Mass:

Don't take photos while Mass is going on! Especially resist the urge to take a great photo when the priest holds up the Host after the consecration.

If it's a big cathedral, and you can spectate unobtrusively around the sides while Mass is going on, that's fine; but keep your voice down and avoid flash photography when there are worshippers nearby.

Don't eat inside the church building, or chew gum; this includes children (nursing babies are obviously fine).

Women don't need to cover their heads, but men should remove their hats.

Don't talk at all, even in a whisper, when you're near a Mass being said, or near people praying on their own; cathedrals are built to carry sound, and you're a lot more audible than you think you are.

Don't wander into the sanctuary (that's the part up the steps where the altar is; the part where the congregation stays is the nave).

Don't worry about putting anything in the collection plate if you're just visiting; but if there's a box for donations for upkeep of the building, please be generous. :)

Most of these things are just plain manners, which you'd think anyone not born in a barn would know; but it's been eye-opening, over the years.

I have a question about the part I put in bold--is entering the sanctuary only bad form during Mass? Or is it bad to walk through the sanctuary at any time?

(Wondering if I need to offer belated apologies to Catholics in France, Spain, and Mexico. :o )

As far as I can tell, Sagrada Familia does not hold services. We will visit it, but not for mass. We are going to go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcelona_Cathedral

Thanks for that link! I hadn't realized the old cathedral was still the active one. I'd heard that Pope Benedict had consecrated the altar at Sagrada Familia, so I assumed it was up and running. St. Eulalia looks gorgeous. I'm even more envious of you than I was.

I have a question about the part I put in bold--is entering the sanctuary only bad form during Mass? Or is it bad to walk through the sanctuary at any time?

(Wondering if I need to offer belated apologies to Catholics in France, Spain, and Mexico. :o )

Really you shouldn't be in the sanctuary at any time unless specifically instructed to go into it, by someone who has the authority to do that (like clergy). I've attended our cathedral for over ten years and have only been in the sanctuary twice. However you will not incur a pontifical censure for having done so, not having known any better. Ego te absolvo. :D

Kneeling is actually optional; my non-Christian dh doesn't kneel (since it's a posture of worship) but just sits at the kneeling part when he comes to Mass. Nobody notices--Catholics with knee problems sit at the kneeling parts, too.

If there is someone kneeling directly behind you in the next pew, it's nice if you don't lean all the way back if you choose to sit.