Menu

MPH Science--What to buy?

mo2

There seem to be a lot of books. Do you need the TM? The Homework book? The Higher Order Thinking Skills? And I see that level 3/4 is broken down into 5 different topics. How many of those are you supposed to cover in a year?

Thanks.

I'm going to C&P what I wrote in another thread:

It can be a little non-user-friendly when it comes in the mail, so I will tell you what I did to make it a LOT easier.

I ordered the textbooks, activity books, homework book and Higher Order Thinking Skills book (HOTS). I use my paper cutter to cut the activity, homework, and HOTS books along the crease, and then I created "workbooks" by combining the components. Oh, I also had to trim down the height of the books because they are longer than 9".

I used the covers from an activity book (like Diversity), and collected the homework and HOTS pages for the Diversity book, and then placed them in order by chapter & lesson. Then I bound my new workbook together with my Pro-Click (but you could staple, or 3-hole punch and put in a binder). So instead of working out of several books, I just use a textbook and workbook for each of the units and it's now open-and-go.

Diversity is big, and it took us ~3 months to work through it. You can count up the lessons and figure how many you want to do each week, but it was very easy for us at this pace doing science about 3 days a week. The other four books in MPH 3/4 are smaller and only take us 4-6 weeks. Honestly if you are rushed you can go a lot faster too :) When we got to the human body part, we switched a big Human Body project using a $1 Scholastic e-book and Bill Nye videos. Now we're back at MPH, working through Interactions and playing with magnets. I have caterpillars on their way to do with our last book, cycles. The program is very easy to add to, but if you do the activities, homework, and HOTS it's a lot on its own.

PM me if you have any questions. We've really enjoyed this year and I feel like the he's learned a lot of solid science, not just fun & games.

If you want to do it over two years, Diversity (the biggest one) and one other book are meant to be done the first year, and the other three books the next.

I do have the big Teacher's Guide and I don't use it. You won't miss it.

Andrea, I was looking at samples of the teacher guides and it appears as if a smaller version of the text and workbook pages is in the TM. Do you think it would it be possible to do this program with just the TM and having kids write answers to questions and such in a notebook?

The activity book, homework, and HOTS are more than fill-in-the-blank. You have to complete charts and graphs, sketch pictures, etc. Not only would that be hard to reproduce, but kids would have to see the pages for that, and then the answers would be right there. So no, I don't think it would be feasible to do it without those books. It would be way too much work and make it very non-user friendly. Also, the TG is expensive and you don't need it if you get the other components I listed. I doubt you would save enough money for it to be worth it.

It can be a little non-user-friendly when it comes in the mail, so I will tell you what I did to make it a LOT easier.

I ordered the textbooks, activity books, homework book and Higher Order Thinking Skills book (HOTS). I use my paper cutter to cut the activity, homework, and HOTS books along the crease, and then I created "workbooks" by combining the components. Oh, I also had to trim down the height of the books because they are longer than 9".

I used the covers from an activity book (like Diversity), and collected the homework and HOTS pages for the Diversity book, and then placed them in order by chapter & lesson. Then I bound my new workbook together with my Pro-Click (but you could staple, or 3-hole punch and put in a binder). So instead of working out of several books, I just use a textbook and workbook for each of the units and it's now open-and-go.

Diversity is big, and it took us ~3 months to work through it. You can count up the lessons and figure how many you want to do each week, but it was very easy for us at this pace doing science about 3 days a week. The other four books in MPH 3/4 are smaller and only take us 4-6 weeks. Honestly if you are rushed you can go a lot faster too :) When we got to the human body part, we switched a big Human Body project using a $1 Scholastic e-book and Bill Nye videos. Now we're back at MPH, working through Interactions and playing with magnets. I have caterpillars on their way to do with our last book, cycles. The program is very easy to add to, but if you do the activities, homework, and HOTS it's a lot on its own.

PM me if you have any questions. We've really enjoyed this year and I feel like the he's learned a lot of solid science, not just fun & games.

If you want to do it over two years, Diversity (the biggest one) and one other book are meant to be done the first year, and the other three books the next.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I think I will start out by order the Diversity text, activity book, homework book, and HOTS. I don't think I need the tests. Then if we like MPH, I can order another topic. I am thinking of stretching it out over 2 years but I'm not sure yet. I would like to do science only 1 day a week but for a bigger block of time. Thanks for going into so much detail on what you do!

I am getting ready to use MPH 3/4 in the Fall with my ds. Just wanted to add that the HOTS book has on-depth questions and expands on the learning. I would recommend getting the text, activity, homework and HOTS.

This is very helpful. I have a couple of other questions.

Which of these books (Hots, activity book, homework book) would you need more than one of for multiple children?

I have a ds who is just beginning to read. I'm not sure where he will be at with this next fall, but do either of the Hots or homework books make sense to get for him if he can't read them? I know I could read the questions to him and help him fill them out, but I'm not sure if I am so inclined.:)

Is there a suggested order to follow after Diversity?

Thanks for any help.

Thank you. This is very helpful. I think I will start out by order the Diversity text, activity book, homework book, and HOTS. I don't think I need the tests. Then if we like MPH, I can order another topic. I am thinking of stretching it out over 2 years but I'm not sure yet. I would like to do science only 1 day a week but for a bigger block of time. Thanks for going into so much detail on what you do!

Mo2, after using this since early 2010 (or late 2009 ?), I came to conclusion that daily dose of bits of science is better for retention and understanding, even if it's only 20 min daily. Also, doing most, if not all, activities and researching the answers for enrichment questions from the textbook, help understanding. This way, when the student eventually gets to the HOTS book, s/he won't be overwhelmed.

IT's also important for the teacher to go through what is in each chapter for each book (not only the textbook) to be able to guide the students to see what concept is important and emphasized.

HTH,

The text can be shared, but the others are consumable. They're cheap - just buy each kid his own.

I agree. It's worth it to invest in one for each child. There are many questions and the students are encouraged to write all over the activity book.

Edited by sagira
ETC: textbook to activity book

The text can be shared, but the others are consumable. They're cheap - just buy each kid his own.

By "the others" do you mean the activity book, homework book, and HOTS? I don't know, I think all that times 2 isn't so cheap. The activity books are though.

Wow. Just looked at some samples of this science online. I like it! May be adding it in fall to supplement the Trails to Learning Paths of Exploration..because that doesn't have much science IMO. Yay!

I'm excited to start using it, but also a bit nervous as I'm deviating from my usual, beloved living books/BFSU format.