Menu

Teaching geography with Bortins' "The Core" methods?

ScoutTN

I asked because my searches have been unsuccessful. Anything with the word "core" in it gets a zillion threads listed, most of which are not relevant. I've tried "first grade geography", "drawing maps", "Leigh Bortins" and several other words and phrases. I get either very few, short threads or a huge number of largely irrelevant ones.

I've read The Core. I'm just wondering if it works as well as she claims, especially with 5-7 yos.

I've read The Core. I'm just wondering if it works as well as she claims, especially with 5-7 yos.

I do believe that if you spend a bit of time each day, "blobbing" maps... versus tracing... that it works. You just put out a map that you can "model" after.... and after going through the first parts... (how to fold the paper...etc... and some "Map grammar")... you just go :)

Put some classical music on... and relax... as you realize that you have years to learn the geography. I really think at that age you have to remember that it's to be a "bonding" experience... just learning bits until one day you have the whole world memorized. By Jr High your kids will be able to sketch the whole world by memory... with most of the spots labeled... :)

Good Luck!!

I started doing this with my daughter and we had a good time. We are currently working our way through a continents booklet and some mapping basics and then we'll return to it.

Here's our first attempt. I also have a link at that page to another homeschooler who's done it. Apparently, one of the Draw Write Now books has a "geography blobs" lesson as well.

We were introduced to the 'geography blob' lesson at our homeschool bookclub last week. What fun! We have been drawing the continents a few times since. My kids enjoy this. I think that once we master the continents we will move on to individual continents and I will supplement with some books and activities on that continent. I just want this to be relaxed and fun so I won't do anything formal along with it.

• 1 year later...