Menu

Life of Fred to correct math gap??

Dd (sophomore) just took the ACT for the 1st time. Her math score reflects competence in algebra, geometry, and trig., but a gap in decimals and percents!:blink: She admits that she never really "got" that. So I guess the feedback is accurate. I do wonder, though, how a student can ace Alg. II, with a gap in such a basic concept. :confused:

Anyway, I was thinking LoF to fill the gap. I have never used these books, but have heard so many good things about them on the boards. Dd works SO HARD all school year..... I would like for her to have a summer that doesn't include tough academics. A dry, boring, math book would certainly ruin MY summer.... So would LoF ruin your summer? I've heard that it takes a humorous approach to math. That would be a nice change.

What say you????

I've had a similar thing happen with my dd. She's been working through Algebra I and about mid-way through the year I realized she was rather fuzzy on fractions. Seemed odd since she appeared to be doing pretty well in Algebra. I bought the LOF Fractions book. A lot of it is pretty simple review for her but she says it has been good to get the reinforcement and go back over things she wasn't totally clear about. The beginning of the book was rather rudimentary for her, but overall, LOF has been rather fun as far as math goes, and I think it's helped to solidify these concepts for her. It would be an easy summer thing to do.

I think LOF Decimals would be a great review and teach any concepts she's not clear on. I think it would be much more fun to tackle LOF for the summer rather than a dry boring math text. I also think it should take care of any problems she's having with decimals. While it starts at the beginning of decimals, it gets much more challenging through the book.

We used LoF as a supplement after completing Saxon for the year so I think it would be a great summer review course. Fred not only teaches the concept, but also uses critical thinking skills to make sure it is fully understood. I think your daughter would thoroughly enjoy it too.