Menu

Age for Autobiography of Frederick Douglass?

Paige

What age would you say the Autobiography of Frederick Douglass is appropriate for? I just can't decide. It has no profanity and only a little vague sexual innuendo, but naturally, the subject matter is a little intense. My DS, 9, would like to read it. I've read it and I can't decide if it is ok or if he should wait until he's closer to 12.

What age would you say the Autobiography of Frederick Douglass is appropriate for? I just can't decide. It has no profanity and only a little vague sexual innuendo, but naturally, the subject matter is a little intense. My DS, 9, would like to read it. I've read it and I can't decide if it is ok or if he should wait until he's closer to 12.

There are some descriptions of brutal beatings that Douglass suffered. Children are very different. For some children, reading about those would be traumatic, for some it would desensitize them to the cruelty, and for others if might create sympathy and a strong sense of injustice. Only you know your son well enough to know (or at least guess with some accuracy) how he would react.

I save this book for high school, mostly because it is scheduled in AO 10 (along with several essays by Douglass) and I don't want to have to find a substitute for it.

Douglass's writings are so important and potentially character shaping that I would have a child read them as early as they were of sufficient maturity.

I particularly like "My Bondage, My Freedom" as Douglass really comes into his prime as a writer. The "Narrative" (written first) is more famous, but this second (of three) versions of his autobiography is even more impressive.

What an amazing and inspiring man Frederick Douglass was. It is a must for me that my child "know him" through his writings.

Best wishes!

Bill

I just re-read his Narrative as an adult and it was emotionally challenging for me. I will have my children read it when I feel like they can process it emotionally. As a Christian it was also challenging to my faith. I would want them to have the maturity to handle the kinds of questions it is likely to bring up for them.

Core Knowledge assigns it in 5th grade. Here's their edition.

Thanks. I was going back and forth on it because of the subject. I think DS could handle it and he's an excellent reader although it may be challenging. It's hard to find things that challenge him, though. He would have been in 5th grade if I hadn't held him back before K, so I think I'll put it on his schedule for next fall- his 4th, but 5th grade age. We read a book called Dare to Dream in K or 1st that talked about a lot of people's struggles with racism, sexism, etc., so he won't be too shocked by the material.