Menu

I am dying to homeschool

I homeschooled my first set of 3 kids till oldest was 10 yrs and then I became a single mom. My ex was/is not supportive of homeschooling. I am remarried and raising my stepdaughters full time (bio mom still has full legal and physical custody). We have primary residence. She is also against me homeschooling the girls. And my husband and I have a child together who is 20 months old. I miss homeschooling and the kids are not getting the best education at their local ps. I have 6 kids in two different school districts and in 3 different schools.

When my kids had to go to school I placed them in a very nice small ps but then the new principal came and changed everything. We had to leave and now I am driving to three different schools and absolutely miserable. My older kids have changed and become very mean, angry and stressed. They are disrespectful and rude. I know the divorce really hurt them as well as the remarriage.

So is there anyone else in my position of wanting to homeschool fulltime but cant because of exes.

:grouphug: I am not in your position, but what I dont get is why the "exes" just get their way?

Is there no way to try a year of HS'ing and see how they do as compared to ps?

I am sorry, I feel for you because I dont like that you dont get a say in things.

I'm not in your exact predicatment. But my kids really enjoy going to school. That's my problem. I feel they really do better in a home enviroment. Especially learning.

I know my husband wants my oldest at the high school ( but that's pressure from his parents) but I do not want her there at all.

I totally understand. I enjoy homeschooling just as much as you do. What does your ex say about your kids bad attitude. Does it not matter to him at all?

:grouphug:

Have you gone for any counselling with your older kids? I'd start with that before doing anything else. I'd also suggest seeing about including your step dc in some of this as well. You could look for someone who is supportive of homeschooling (ask around, first), but I wouldn't make that the first thing you bring up when you go. Counselling could help your older dc adjust, and that's the main reason I'm suggesting it.

There may be some fear (as well as bitterness) on the bio mom's part and, to be honest, some of this is understandable (although it may come across as anger). Fear of you spending too much time with her dc, for eg, fear of the unknown, etc. It sounds to me as though things are not amicable between your dh and his ex, which always makes it difficult, too. with that

In the meantime, I'd continue to afterschool them and to make your home as much of a haven as you can in your situation. Your older dc may also feel stressed because they are competing with other dc for your attention, particularly with your 20 month old.