Menu

Road trip with children & dog, need advice!

My family is planning a road trip from New Jersey to Florida, and this will be the first time we will making the trip with the family dog. I'm getting a bit nervous about this, and flip-flopping back and forth between leaving the dog behind or taking her with us.

Here are some details about us and our trip:

-5 of us (2 adults, 3 children) plus our 60+ lb. greyhound girl

-our trip will start in NJ, then to VA Beach, then Asheville, NC, then Atlanta, then finish up in Orlando

-we'll probably drive straight back up the eastern coast on the return trip

Advice or been-there-done-that experiences to share?

Thanks in advance. :001_smile:

We took our dogs on a 16-hour road trip. They were actually better than the kids, and slept nearly the whole time ;) I would just make sure they have a spot where they can comfortably sleep, and that you let them potty on a regular basis.

Krista

well, make sure that you have EXTRA copies of your dog's vaccination records. I keep one in my wallet and one right in my car. traveling across state if there are any problems you will need proof of those.

Also having a copy of your vets number and fax number can help if you need to stop at another vet hospital.

Have enough food for your dog as sometimes you will not be able to find it when traveling.

Have extra leashes and collars as well for safety and I always recommend a well stocked first aid kit for human and canine problems specific to summertime.

Get her bordetella vaccination updated, with booster, before you go. Anywhere you stop for her to go to the bathroom or run around may have been used by another dog and she could catch kennel cough. You might think about doing a preventative flea/worm treatment just so she doesn't pick something up.

agree on taking her vax records with you for sure, and I'd have a good harness for her to wear with her tags and id on it. Make sure she's secure anywhere you take her outside and always keep her on a leash and make sure whoever is holding her is able to control her. When we travel in town I have mine on a leash IN the vehicle and before a door opens ever we secure the leash to the interior of the car. My parents had a dog jump out of the vehicle during an emergency stop for a flat tire on a busy road and it did not end well. It inspired some paranoia for us.

Bring a water bowl and maybe some bottles of water for her and plenty of food. Maybe a chew toy for the car. Some plastic bags for cleaning up after her if needed at public places.

we take our dogs with us everywhere and they usually just sleep while the car is going down the road, take a quick potty break and back in the car. They're just happy to be with us and we barely know they're there.

Have a good trip!

We take ours pretty much everywhere... and just are extra careful that he doesn't get lost... because.. of course... it's extra hard in a new place. I've heard people say to take pictures of the dog, just in case.

We put a blanket in his kennel, and I wish I had purchased a more narrow kennel for the car... We take bully sticks... and a few tennis balls and ball thrower... but generally just being with us makes him happy and tired..

:)

Thanks for the advice. :)

Did you break up your trip or did you drive for 16 hours straight (with stops for pottying/eating/etc.)?

My grandmother was dying, so the trip was pretty much straight there with stops for pottying, eating, and a bit of running around (for both kids and dogs). We stopped quite a bit more on the way back home.

well, make sure that you have EXTRA copies of your dog's vaccination records. I keep one in my wallet and one right in my car. traveling across state if there are any problems you will need proof of those.

Also having a copy of your vets number and fax number can help if you need to stop at another vet hospital.

Have enough food for your dog as sometimes you will not be able to find it when traveling.

Have extra leashes and collars as well for safety and I always recommend a well stocked first aid kit for human and canine problems specific to summertime.

:iagree:

I took a long road trip a few years ago with 2 dc and 1 labrador retriever. We drove from Michigan to Florida, then we went up to Virginia, and finally back to Michigan. I never drove more than 9 hours a day.

Things that helped were:

*I booked ahead hotel rooms that were pet-friendly.

*I booked in advance a kennel in Florida for the dog to stay in for 2 days while we were really busy with wedding and family events.

*Our dog was very used to car trips and was older at that point and didn't need that much exercise.

Things that were difficult:

*Managing rest stops without leaving the dog in the car for too long (car heats up VERY fast in the south).

*We had to skip some really interesting looking stops on the way, because I didn't want to leave the dog in the car.

My grandmother was dying, so the trip was pretty much straight there with stops for pottying, eating, and a bit of running around (for both kids and dogs). We stopped quite a bit more on the way back home.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. :(

Thank you for all of the tips. I'm taking notes and already have been looking into accommodations ahead of time. We usually get hotels via Priceline or Hotwire, so this will be a bit of a change for us, but nothing too major.

What a beautiful grey! We have one also & we brought him with us when we moved from FL to CO. He does not enjoy car rides, so it wasn't an easy trip.

Others have given really good advice already, so I'll add a couple of things we did. The kids & dog enjoyed stopping at rest areas for picnic lunches (make sure there is plenty of green grass & trees). Everyone got a chance to walk or run around and it provided a nice midday break. We also packed the dog bed in the back along with a clip-on car fan (it was the middle of summer) for our pooch's maximum comfort.

We never left him alone in the car (because it was summer - too hot). The 2 adults took turns staying with the dog & taking kids, etc. It was more cumbersome & I wouldn't recommend taking the dog if you plan to stop & do a lot of sightseeing, etc., unless you can make other arrangements.

The only trouble our dog had at a hotel was trying to go down a very steep set of outdoor concrete stairs. He. just. didn't. want. to. go. down. I thought I was going to have to carry all 75 lbs of him down! We made sure all rooms were on the first floor after that.

Good luck!