Menu

I'm planting an herb garden today...

basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and cilantro. My boys are so excited they keep asking when they can pick stuff! :) Anyway, this is my first herb garden and I'm pretty clueless. Any advice? And, any favorite ways to use fresh herbs? I'm used to using dried herbs, so this will be a switch!

Guest Virginia Dawn

There is a thread on cilantro. I also have rosemary, oregano, and thyme. I mostly use them in soups, pasta sauce, rice, and on roasted meats. Stuff them in Chicken, pile them on a roast , use them in Italian dishes. I haven't gotten used to basil yet, I mostly used it in sauce, salads, and on sandwiches.

basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and cilantro. My boys are so excited they keep asking when they can pick stuff! :) Anyway, this is my first herb garden and I'm pretty clueless. Any advice? And, any favorite ways to use fresh herbs? I'm used to using dried herbs, so this will be a switch!

Oregano, thyme, and rosemary should be perennial where you live, so plant accordingly. Parsley is a biennial, so if you leave it in the ground, it might return the next season and flower for you, thereby reseeding itself. Again, if your winter is too cold, it may not survive. Basil will hold up well for you all season, but don't put it outside before your nights are consistently above 40°. It won't appreciate the cold at all! The same holds true for when you cut it and bring it inside. Don't refrigerate it! As basil plants age, the leaves become stronger. Serious basil growers plant more than one crop per season to manage this. Home growers just need to keep the plants well trimmed (cut at leaf bracts and remove flower stalks as they appear). Cilantro will be a wonderful spring and possibly fall producing herb for you (fall plants often come from the seeds produced by the spring plants, if you leave them to their stuff, and let the seeds fall as they may). But, it's not a heat lover, so don't expect much cilantro in the heat of summer.

Uses are as varied as you can imagine. Virginia Dawn has hinted at many. They will liven up a salad, roast meats, or a fresh vegetable dish. You will need more in volume compared to dried herbs, but the flavor will be completely different and more intense, so use according to your family's tastes.

Herbs thrive in neglect, so don't pamper them too much, and don't worry too much about soil preparation in your chosen location. They'll do fine with less than perfect soil, as long as it's not a desert or a swamp.

Google "Fresh Herbs, recipes" and you'll find some tempting ideas and helpful tips.

I would LOVE to have an herb garden!!! It sounds like you will have a great time with the kids! Enjoy!!

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is don't let it go to flower. Keep them pinched back if you are going to keep using them in the kitchen.

Loved planting mint (tho this is good in a pot because it spreads so rapidly) but it's really nice in summer brewed tea! Chives are fun too - great in am eggs with some fresh parsley.

Have fun!

I just planted my basil this weekend, and the lady I bought the plants from said not to take any leaves off for the first two weeks. I had never heard this before, and thought I would pass it along! Enjoy! I love, love, LOVE basil.

Try this - spread a little olive oil on sliced bread (french, italian), and toast this lightly. Take out of the oven and top with a tomato slice, slice of mozzerella cheese, and a basil leaf. Our family loves this snack, event the picky eater! :D