Menu

Logic for 5th grader: Red Herring Mysteries? Building Thinking Skills? Other ideas?

I am close to clicking submit on my RR order! Wohoo! Just a few more decisions and Logic for my upcoming 5th grader being one.

I have been looking at Red Herring Mysteries - Level One and Building Thinking Skills - Level 2. Can anyone share their experience with either of these? Do you like one better than another? Get both? If you liked or disliked one or the other can you share what you liked/disliked?

And specifically if we haven't completed Level One of Building Thinking Skills, is it okay to start with Level Two or can each book stand on its own?

Thanks!

I just started looking through some old threads about logic and found the Blastoff with Logic series from Dandylion Press: Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff and Orbiting with Logic. These look great!

How do they compare with Building Thinking Skills from The Critical Thinking Company? Better? Worse? Same?

We use the Mindbenders from Critical Thinking and love them. I would suggest that you go to the Critical Thinking Co's website and download samples for the different levels of whatever program you choose. I wasted money buying books for their "grade level," when it wasn't their level at all!

I was wondering the exact same thing. I came here to start a thread because I got the catalog in the mail from The Critical Thinking Co yesterday and I really don't know which levels to order. Or which books. They have so many choices. I would love to hear from those who have used them if you can just jump in or if you need to start at the beginning. And which books your dc liked best - Minbenders, Red Herrings, Building Thinking Skills - or something else entirely.

So, I'm bumping this for you.

:bigear:

We have Building Thinking Skills, Mindbenders and Red Herrings and have been using them for about a month. My kids (9 and 10) both like Mindbenders, which they play on the computers. My daughter does not like BTS because it is difficult for her, even though I got the easier level. I have her do it anyway as she needs to strengthen those skills. She is NOT a visual learner and so far it seems like visual perception skills are the focus. The Red Herrings has been fun. The kids each write 3 questions in cursive about the mystery and I answer them. It seems to be working on a completely different skill than BTS. My perception is that Mindbenders and Red Herrings work on similar skills.

HTH!

I just started looking through some old threads about logic and found the Blastoff with Logic series from Dandylion Press: Logic Countdown, Logic Liftoff and Orbiting with Logic. These look great!

How do they compare with Building Thinking Skills from The Critical Thinking Company? Better? Worse? Same?

We used the Blastoff series and love them!

I think the 'building thinking skills' program is very overpriced.

We used the Logic Liftoff program for 5th grade and my son liked it very much.

We started with the second book, because a friend told me to just use it at grade level. We had zero problem starting in the second book. My son did both the second and the third book this year. We did one exercise per day, three or four days per week. We started in September and we finished this month. He was able to to open the book and do each exercise on his own with no direction from me.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a little disappointed with Red Herring Myteries in that they don't give you the information required to solve the mystery. That said, my eldest DS, 11, LOVES them. The others, ages 10, 9, and almost 8, think they are "okay." I also thought they were pricey. I always think that about the Critical Thinking books, though I admit we are Mind Bender junkies.

Another suggestion is to check out your library's collection of . . . coming up blank here . . . who is the fifth grader who solves the crimes his dad, the police chief, encounters? Leroy Brown, Boy Detective? Each mystery is a few pages long--and each is self-contained so you can do one or five or whatever--and all the pertinent details are provided.

Okay, what's the kid's name?!? It's not Leroy Brown. . . Help!!

Also, we used some Building Thinking Skills books. Again, I think they are pricey--though cheaper than Mind Benders, per page! One student loved them and did them independently for fun. The other three couldn't have cared less.

I've been a little disappointed with Red Herring Myteries in that they don't give you the information required to solve the mystery. That said, my eldest DS, 11, LOVES them. The others, ages 10, 9, and almost 8, think they are "okay." I also thought they were pricey. I always think that about the Critical Thinking books, though I admit we are Mind Bender junkies.

Another suggestion is to check out your library's collection of . . . coming up blank here . . . who is the fifth grader who solves the crimes his dad, the police chief, encounters? Leroy Brown, Boy Detective? Each mystery is a few pages long--and each is self-contained so you can do one or five or whatever--and all the pertinent details are provided.

Also, we used some Building Thinking Skills books. Again, I think they are pricey--though cheaper than Mind Benders, per page! One student loved them and did them independently for fun. The other three couldn't have cared less.

Encyclopedia Brown! :D

I just got my dd (6th gr next year) a little book of logic, word and number puzzles at Half Price Books for $3. There are 170 puzzles in it. I figured between that and chess we will get some good logic going. The following year I will get her more of a "curriculum" for logic. And I like those Logic Liftoff books too, better than BTS.

LittleIzumi is right, it is Encyclopedia Brown. You're right, too, though, because his real name is Leroy. Which, when I first heard the song about "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown," really cracked me up.