Menu

How do you explain Autism to dc?

One of the girls on K's softball team is on the very-noticeable end of the spectrum. We see this family now & then at church, so are somewhat familiar with them, and so far it's been enough to say something like, "V has trouble with some things that might be easier for you" and try to get them to be understanding for that short time. Today, V was dumping out all the girls' water bottles that were on the bench, so K complained about it when I picked her up. I was surprised to hear that she was on the team - she's 2 years older than K (who is one of the oldest in this age group), and her little sister is also on the same team.

How can I explain what kind of challenges V has, and how can I teach K to be kind without allowing harm to herself? I know lack of water for a 1.5hr practice is not much harm, but I'm sure there will be other instances this summer, and right now everything is a big deal to K.

My children are 9 and have a friend with Aesbergers. We have kept explanations really simple. Since they are familiar with physical handicaps I explained that not all handicaps are visable. Some are inside an show themselves in different ways. We look for various oppurtunities for them to see that just because someone is different, it doesn't mean they don't have equally special strengths. I have know idea if what we do is the best way, but so far it works. If you ask on the special needs board they may be able to give you some better ideas.

Here is a link to a PDF which might be helpful:

http://www.autismnj.org/Doc/KidsBookFinalWeb.pdf

I often tell children I meet that my son's brain works differently and it takes him longer to learn things, but he likes to have fun and play, etc.

While it is great that the girl is being included it would be a good idea if she was supervised so she does not do things that will incur the dislike of others (such as emptying water bottles). Maybe this should be brought up with those running the softball team? Perhaps someone could buddy-up with the girl to help steer her from stim behavior, but with young children I really think it should be up to an adult . . .

My son also has Autism, and somebody on here said that its kinda like a radio station not quite tuned in right, sometimes the music comes through and sometimes it just doesn't without interruptions. I loved that. That really opened MY eyes to my son. So maybe putting it in similar terms. Please make sure they know they do not have to be afraid of kids with Autism though. So many kids are.

Here is something I found that might help

At your daughter's age, I would just teach her what it really is. You could even make it a learning activity. Go online to find the information. There are some very good sites out there that not only explain what the autism spectrum is, but also give ideas to help other interact with people who have autism.

At your daughter's age, I would just teach her what it really is. You could even make it a learning activity. Go online to find the information. There are some very good sites out there that not only explain what the autism spectrum is, but also give ideas to help other interact with people who have autism.

This is the approach I would take. It sounds like the girl has autistim, not Aspergers. I have a good youtube video taped by a teen with Aspergers which explains his perspective on things. It is very helpful for understanding Asperger's but I don't know how helpful it would be with Autism.

My kids and I were at my oldest dd's choir concert last week, and there was a 10ish year old boy with autism. He was dancing, making noise and moving around during the performance. It was a very small crowd in an intimate environment so it was more of a "family" feel than a big auditorium. Later, my dd told me that he was a brother of one of the choir members. My boys were looking and laughing at him during the performance because his behavior seemed odd to them. I told them to stop laughing and after the performance I explained to them that the boy was autistic, that he didn't realize his behavior was strange or wrong in any way and that he couldn't help it. I also pointed out that he looked really happy when he was dancing and that he seemed like a happy boy in general. I did a bit more education about why it is rude to look and laugh at someone's behavior, but they accepted and seemed to understand my explanation. They are 10 and 8. I always stress kindness to others, and I have found that kids in general are very kind if they are given information they can understand.

I just say that their brain works a little different and they have a hard time working out right/wrong or socially acceptable/inappropriate.

My son, for example, cannot understand why his burp-heard-round-the-restaurant was inappropriate: "But Mom! I said 'scuse' me!"

:iagree: This is what I tell my younger two about their older sister. And from a mom of a child on the spectrum, thank you for taking the time out to talk with your kids about understanding and having compassion for a child with disabilities:)