Menu

AAS?

I am doing OPGTR and my DS LOVES the magnetic tiles. He is actually spelling words with them (cat, man, etc). I was planning on using Apples and Pears because it looked less time consuming and less expensive, but now I am rethinking that. How much of AAS is using the tiles? I know that lots of people skip that step, but this has really gotten DS excited about spelling and reading! BTW, when can I start AAS? 1st grade or mid-K (which reading level should he be at). Also, is there ever a sale or free shipping? I also want to buy AAR Pre-Level 1 and would love to save a little cash!

Tiles are used to demonstrate new concepts and review old ones, then they're used to spell the 10 words for that step (there is also a more words section for more practice). After that, the kid spells on paper, then does phrases and eventually sentences on paper. Many skip the spelling with tiles part if the kid is too distracted by them (explosion noises are a common symptom of this).

I think mid-K would be a fine time to start. You can get free shipping or discounts at some retailers on occasion.

Alright we are finally using AAS with success, so I think I can comment now :).

IMO, and I know others feel differently, AAS is most effective when the student can read and write at about a 1st grade + level. We are finally achieving the 15 minute spelling lesson because ds is now at this level and doesn't have to sound out every little thing or take forever to write the words down.

You could start earlier, but it will likely take a ton of time and for us we could never get past Step 10 of level 1 without reading fluency. It was just too hard for a beginning reader (but this makes sense because it is supposed to be a spelling, not a reading program).

My suggestion would be to start when you are about halfway through OPGTR, assuming your dc has some reading & writing fluency. I will say though that doing AAS & OPGTR together is pretty time consuming, and I'm glad we will only overlap them for a few months. They end up being a lot of sit down language work for a wiggly boy!

My 4 year old is on lesson 60 something in OPGTR. She reads very comfortably books like Amelia Bedilia and Frog and Toad. So I started AAS a couple months ago and we are about halfway through level 1 now. She is doing it really well. I would almost say it is too easy for her but I am very glad we started with level 1 and can build up to harder levels. I would rather start at a lower level and breeze through it than throw her in over her head.

My daughter likes the tiles. I never got around to purchasing the magnetic dry erase board. It's still on my list of things to get soon. So for now we just set the tiles up on our table and do it that way. I also incorporated the use of a "dinger" bell from our I-Spy game. She LOVES to spell out the words on the tile and then hit the "dinger bell". Then she says the word, spells the word, and says the word again. "Chip- C-H-I-P Chip! "

Then she self-checks her work by checking the flashcard and if she is correct we all do a short dance. We like bells and dancing here. :)

You can use the tiles as much or as little as you want. They are used in every step, so you could use them daily if you wanted to. My kids used to use them daily and then just gradually grew out of them (which is as it should be!).

Your 5 yo sounds ready to start any time. Here's a readiness article. Sales--they usually have a sale on a new product for the first week that it's offered.

Merry :-)

AAR Pre-1 is a ton of fun ;). My 2nd DD is adoring it, it has a lot of great pre-spelling skills in it (segmenting orally, early syllabification etc.) If you are interested in doing both, I'd do AAR Pre-1 before starting AAS 1.

Oh dear! The AAR is probably for your 2nd? Silly me! Your oldest sounds past the AAR Pre-1 stage :).

I love the tiles. That was a huge draw for me, because my DS2 is very tactile. I started w/ DS1 after K and he was already an excellent reader. It does go quickly that way. DS2 is doing funnix. I use the Level 1 phonogram cards, but that is it for now. I won't officially start 1 until he is reading fluently. I also want to work on his handwriting first, before I have him write more.

How much writing does it require? DS is a good writer, but hates writing.

In Level 1 you can do most of it with tiles if you want to. Each step has you practice concepts with tiles, then practice 10 words with tiles. Then you write those 10 words. About halfway through the book, simple dictation phrases (usually 2 words each) are introduced. You could do it all with tiles, or let him alternate tiles & writing. There may be occasions when you might not have enough of one letter for the dictations, but you'd probably be fine for most. And, you can take as much or as little time as he needs too--so you can spread the dictation over many days or do it all in 1 or 2. (The steps are meant to be flexible and taken at each child's pace, so adjust it to fit your son's needs.). Have you seen the online samples? That would give you an idea too--this page has links for samples & scope/sequence info for levels 1-3.

HTH! Merry :-)

Edited by MerryAtHope

How much writing does it require? DS is a good writer, but hates writing.

My first grader is writing phobic also. Starting AAS actually helped strengthen his arm and improve his writing stamina. Partway through, when the writing got to be more, I switched him to just writing on the white board - no paper/pencil. That has helped immensely! This week, I've been dictating 4 sentences each day (we're doing the review step of level 3, and I wanted to make sure we didn't have any concepts that needed to be revisited). He isn't struggling at all with this! Back in January when I pulled him out of school, he would have struggled.

So I highly recommend using a white board where possible. I got him a small white board he can hold in his lap to write on, but we also write on the big board. I save pencil/paper writing for WWE and other such things.

My first grader is writing phobic also. Starting AAS actually helped strengthen his arm and improve his writing stamina. Partway through, when the writing got to be more, I switched him to just writing on the white board - no paper/pencil. That has helped immensely! This week, I've been dictating 4 sentences each day (we're doing the review step of level 3, and I wanted to make sure we didn't have any concepts that needed to be revisited). He isn't struggling at all with this! Back in January when I pulled him out of school, he would have struggled.

So I highly recommend using a white board where possible. I got him a small white board he can hold in his lap to write on, but we also write on the big board. I save pencil/paper writing for WWE and other such things.

:iagree: I second the white board idea.

This is a really good idea! It might make him enjoy it more!

I love the way AAS looks and how it works. The only thing I worry about is doing this program with all of my kids and how much time it will take. Right now, with only 1 kid, it won't be a big deal, but down the road it might be. We have three kids so far, but might have more. How do you all deal with that issue?