Menu

Breaking the Barrier or So You Really Want to Learn Spanish?

I'm just looking for input on these. I speak no Spanish. My boys don't really want a computer program, so I've narrowed it down to these.

I haven't seen many reviews against SYRWTLS, but I don't really care for the illustrations in them.

I came across BtB, but there seems to be a good bit of bad reviews.

Just fishing for input.

Thanks,

Kim

It was laid out, IMNSHO, in a very poor way. It jumped around too much and did not follow a pattern that I thought would be easy to teach (or learn, for that matter).

I am a teacher of Spanish and learned the language as a second language. I've not seen a Spanish program that I truly love (or even remotely like). For my own kids, I am using BJU along with my Spanish book from high school, which I must say, is the BEST book I have EVER come across. Figures. It was a good book, so they had to make something 'better', which really is code for 'garbage'.

I don't believe that BJU is a book one can teach from if one is not fluent in the language. There are many issues that I have with this book, as well, and I have contacted them to tell them of how poorly their program is put together. Yes, I am a very demanding consumer when it comes to Spanish programs.

I know I've done nothing to help your situation, but hope I've not further muddied the waters.

FWIW... :)

I haven't see BtB, but I am very, very happy with SYRWTL Spanish. We've been using it successfully for a couple years. Our tutor (native speaker, teacher at both high school and university) has been very pleased with it.

I've posted on this topic previously, so won't repeat everything. . .

Geez, I got BtB at the beginning of this school year, and many were raving about it. So I guess the likes and don't likes go in cycles??

We had a rough go of it. It would have been remedied if I knew Spanish. We still may come back to it. We kind of do our own thing with foreign language. We used Standard Deviants dvds (dd's favorite) but they are not a complete program. I've also used Madrigal's and a few Practice Makes Perfect workbooks. Dd also has watched Spanish youtube videos. She is growing in the language, and will take it at college to fill in the gaps.

I think most texts really need a fluent teacher.

I am fluent in Spanish and have liked Breaking the Barrier this year, fwiw. But it is meant to be taught, and the teacher does add lots to the class when he teaches it himself (author of BtB uses it in his own classrrom). Some of the additions are on the website and others are mentioned in an article there - a language class is always going to be more than a grammar book.

This will be true of any grammar book - I'd think the same would be true of SYRWLS. Using a grammar book in combo with a more verbal program is a better; finding a fluent/native tutor or taking a class with one is even better.

• 3 years later...

Old thread alert!

I was going to start a new thread, but wanted to show I've done my due diligence and searched old threads first... ;)

Does anyone have anything new to add to this discussion? We've been using SYRWTLS, but I don't like the format. BTB seems a better fit as far as format. 

The old threads show a mix of reviews, so I thought I'd get some current ones. Are you still happy with BtB, Matryoshka?