Menu

HOD and science - can I use my own?

So, I'm looking at HOD. I think it could work really well for us. I won't go into all my thoughts on that here because I came to ask about science, LOL.

Can I do different science? How integral is the science in the rest of the program? I was looking at placement, and I think we would need to start in Creation to Christ. I was hoping to do the next level up, but realistically, I thing CtC is where we would need to be. (Look, I rhymed! :D)

The thing is, I really want to do Elemental Science Biology next. We have not done life science yet. I've looked over ES program, I like what I see and I'm excited to do it. We haven't done the Apologia Zoology books, so it's not like HOD is repeating what we've already done.

So glad you looked at HOD! I was going to suggest that on one of your threads- but then thought not to. :D

You can use your own science without a problem. The science in HOD is nicely integrated and skills are built into the plan. You might want to consider using some of it... i.e. the living books part of it, if it is not too much.

Also- the science is designed for independence with teacher follow-ups- so if you have the time to implement a full science program on your own- then I would say, it is fine to do your own... if that makes sense.

I guess what I am trying to say is: it is up to you and you know your family best!

I hope this helps,

Rebecca

I asked the same thing on a few boards and now that I have seen a Guide, I have decided to do 2 science programs....HOD's and Apologia.

The part of HOD that I LOVE is that its ALL integrated and has activites and readings that are all woven together. The Science activites look really easy and fun and I hate to skip them. So we have decided to do HOD's Science and then nights/weekends/summers we are going to do Apologia( we LOVE these books and want to do all of them) and maybe some Elemental Science too (we did Chem this year and loved it)

I asked the same thing on a few boards and now that I have seen a Guide, I have decided to do 2 science programs....HOD's and Apologia.

The part of HOD that I LOVE is that its ALL integrated and has activites and readings that are all woven together. The Science activites look really easy and fun and I hate to skip them. So we have decided to do HOD's Science and then nights/weekends/summers we are going to do Apologia( we LOVE these books and want to do all of them) and maybe some Elemental Science too (we did Chem this year and loved it)

Im doing the same. I am adding in Zoo1 and we are also hoping to finish Zoo2 before CtC. CtC uses Zoo3.

Im doing the same. I am adding in Zoo1 and we are also hoping to finish Zoo2 before CtC. CtC uses Zoo3.

We are 1/4 of the way into Zoo1 and will finish by end of summer and we are going to do Zoo2 next fall and summer to prepare for CtC and Zoo3! For some reason I feel we HAVE to do 1 and 2 before 3 lol

We are 1/4 of the way into Zoo1 and will finish by end of summer and we are going to do Zoo2 next fall and summer to prepare for CtC and Zoo3! For some reason I feel we HAVE to do 1 and 2 before 3 lol

We are tentatively planning on the same thing for the same reasons...still test driving HOD here but my guys thirst for science. We also love Apologia and decided that Zoo 1 with Bigger and Zoo 2 with Preparing would be AWESOME if it works out....

We'll see....:001_smile:

We are going to start another science. I thought that the science looked better in the levels after Preparing. I think before that the science lessons are mostly a "history of science" type of thing, not a full science course. I also see a couple of Young Earth books that I would rather skip. In any case I wouldn't skip all of the HOD science because I like learning the history of science along with our history course.

We are tentatively planning on the same thing for the same reasons...still test driving HOD here but my guys thirst for science. We also love Apologia and decided that Zoo 1 with Bigger and Zoo 2 with Preparing would be AWESOME if it works out....

We'll see....:001_smile:

totally thread-jacking but I've been waiting to hear an update from you Katrina. Your situation really resonates with me and we are preparing to take the plunge with HoD so I've been watching to see how it is playing out for you all. :)

totally thread-jacking but I've been waiting to hear an update from you Katrina. Your situation really resonates with me and we are preparing to take the plunge with HoD so I've been watching to see how it is playing out for you all. :)

:001_smile: We completed Unit One of Bigger Hearts yesterday... My goal is to make it through 6 Units before assessing the situation. I have a list of pros & cons that I imagine will change somewhat over the weeks. We haven't tried out DITHOR yet....I REALLY want to work more on specific writing instruction with my boys so I'm not sure we'll have time for DITHOR yet although after previewing the manual again it IS quite good. But, I have to prioritize soooooo I think writing instruction is edging DITHOR out for now.

I'm only trying Bigger on my 8 year old...the younger boy is tagging along for most of it though. I have no intention of beginning any other HOD programs right now since we're just giving it a mini trial! :001_smile:

:001_smile: We completed Unit One of Bigger Hearts yesterday... My goal is to make it through 6 Units before assessing the situation. I have a list of pros & cons that I imagine will change somewhat over the weeks. We haven't tried out DITHOR yet....I REALLY want to work more on specific writing instruction with my boys so I'm not sure we'll have time for DITHOR yet although after previewing the manual again it IS quite good. But, I have to prioritize soooooo I think writing instruction is edging DITHOR out for now.

I'm only trying Bigger on my 8 year old...the younger boy is tagging along for most of it though. I have no intention of beginning any other HOD programs right now since we're just giving it a mini trial! :001_smile:

I thought DITHOR was overkill, and I also think that using only one guide was a good idea. May you be blessed in this endeavor. :grouphug:

I thought DITHOR was overkill, and I also think that using only one guide was a good idea. May you be blessed in this endeavor. :grouphug:

Thanks Carmen.....I don't think we'll be able to stay with HOD but I'm giving it my all right now. I can't use one guide forever.....

I've been pondering DITHOR all morning (was up before the sun) and decided that it is a HUGE time commitment. I honestly think that for right now I'd rather allow my children the enjoyment of the literature with natural discussion. I suspect that for my boys the DITHOR assignments might be too much though they'd enjoy the genre projects. I would also rather study Latin than use DITHOR. There's only so much time in the day, right?

Thanks Carmen.....I don't think we'll be able to stay with HOD but I'm giving it my all right now. I can't use one guide forever.....

I've been pondering DITHOR all morning (was up before the sun) and decided that it is a HUGE time commitment. I honestly think that for right now I'd rather allow my children the enjoyment of the literature with natural discussion. I suspect that for my boys the DITHOR assignments might be too much though they'd enjoy the genre projects. I would also rather study Latin than use DITHOR. There's only so much time in the day, right?

Exactly. I am not switching from PR (really cool but not necessary) just to use DITHOR (really cool but not necessary).;)

yes! me too! If I could swing it I would love to do Botany next summer but I don't think we will have enough time. :(

yes! me too! If I could swing it I would love to do Botany next summer but I don't think we will have enough time. :(
This might help? BOTANY is coming... The first five chapters of "Botany in 8 Lessons" are available for free download. I know some of you have been waiting anxiously, so until I have the whole thing complete and ready for sale, you can at least download more than half of the curriculum. Click on the Botany cover pic.